Got multiple Instagram accounts?
One for business, one for fun?
Another one for another business? Or maybe your pet?
Maintaining separate accounts is a highly recommended, yet frustrating, tactic.
Recommended, because Instagram users love to follow laser-focused accounts.
Frustrating, because you’ve had to sign in and out of one account to access another.
But no longer!
Instagram finally announced account switching February 8, 2016. I got it that same day, after checking obsessively for days. It had already been rolling out for a week!
Note: This post was originally published on Feb 8, 2016, and last updated August 30, 2019, with the latest info for you.
We’ll cover all this below:
- How to create another Instagram account.
- How to add Instagram Account Switching to existing accounts.
- How to enable one login for all your linked accounts.
- Push notifications on multiple Instagram accounts.
- How to remove an Instagram account you’ve added, with troubleshooting tips.
- How to permanently delete an Instagram account.
The purple banners will help you find a specific section. Read on!
How can I create another Instagram account?
You can create a new Instagram account while you’re logged into your current account.
If you’ve already created multiple Instagram accounts, you can simply connect them, so skip to the next section.
Here’s how to create a new Instagram account that will instantly be connected to your current one.
There are 12 steps, but they’re really easy:
1 | Open your current Instagram account.
2 | Go to your profile.
3 | Tap the 3 lines at top right.
4 | Tap the gear icon at the bottom for Settings.
5 | Scroll to the bottom. Tap Add Account.
6 | DON’T fill in the log in screen. At the bottom of the page, tap Sign up.
7 | You’ll see an option to use Facebook for sign-up. If you’re already using Facebook for your primary account, choose Sign Up With Phone or Email.
8 | Enter your Phone or Email NOT used by another account. *READ CAUTION BELOW!
9 | If you choose Email, you’ll confirm your new account later. Open the email from Instagram and select Confirm your email address.
10 | If you choose Phone, you’ll need to enter the verification number sent to your phone. Once you’ve entered the verification code, tap Next.
11 | Next you’ll add your Instagram profile photo, Name, and Password.
12 | The next step will be to create a unique username. You can include dots, dashes, or numbers.
You can skip the remaining steps for now.
You’re logged in to your new account, and can switch to your original account!
Here’s a short video demonstration of the process outlined above:
Can I create more than one account with the same email?
*DO NOT use the same email or phone for your second Instagram account.
Some readers have managed to do this and found themselves permanently locked out of the second account when they forgot their password. You MUST have different emails or phone numbers to recover your account!
And, per Instagram, “If you sign up with email, make sure you enter your email address correctly and choose an email address that only you can access. If you log out and forget your password, you’ll need to be able to access your email to get back into your Instagram account.”
Despite the introduction of “one login” in June 2019, Instagram STILL asserts:
An email address can only be associated with one Instagram account. source
More about “one login” further down.
How to add Instagram Account Switching to existing accounts
Account switching became available as part of Instagram version 7.15 for iOS and Android. First make sure your app is updated. If it IS and you still don’t have account switching, one user reported that deleting and reinstalling the app solved this issue.
You can add multiple Instagram accounts to switch between them without having to log out and log back in.
To add multiple Instagram accounts:
- Go to your profile and tap the 3 lines at top right.
- Tap the gear icon at the bottom.
- Scroll down and tap Add Account. It’s near the bottom.
- Enter the username and password of the account you’d like to add.
- Or log in with Facebook if that’s how you set up the other account.
To switch between accounts you’ve added:
- Go to your profile.
- Tap your username at the very top of the screen.
- Tap the account you’d like to switch to.
- OR you can switch from any tab via your profile picture in the bottom left!
Note that you can add up to 5 accounts on one device. source
From now on, just tap your Instagram profile picture at the bottom of any panel to switch between accounts.
Here’s a short video demonstration of the process outlined above:
Once you have multiple accounts added, you’ll see your profile photo appear in places throughout the app so you can always tell which one you’re using at the moment. I noticed that my account name appears in the comment field so I’m sure which account I’m using. Nice!
Where do I add an Instagram account? I don’t have this option.
Instagram is always moving this around. As of August 30, 2019, on iOS you tap the 3 lines OR swipe left on your profile panel to find the gear icon at the bottom.
It’s shown in the video directly above, as well as the screenshots below.
Can I use one login on multiple Instagram accounts?
As noted above, each Instagram account should be set up with a distinct email or phone number for password recovery.
However, once you’ve linked accounts, you have the option of using one account’s login to sign into all linked accounts.
- Go to your profile, then tap the “hamburger” (3 lines).
- Tap Settings.
- Tap Login Info.
- Pick the account and password you’ll use to log into your accounts.
- Tap Next.
Steps 1-2 can be seen on the image above, steps 3-5 below.
The next time you sign in with the login info you selected, you’ll also be logged into the accounts you added it to.
Fair warning: Anyone who knows how to log into the account you choose will also have access to all linked accounts.
If you don’t plan to logout of Instagram, you really don’t need this feature. But it could come in handy if you want to keep more than one group of linked accounts on one device!
Note: Each of your accounts will keep their individual login and password, which you can still use to log into each account separately.
What about push notifications on multiple Instagram accounts?
If you’ve added multiple Instagram accounts, you may get push notifications from any account that has them turned on. This depends on when you last logged in and the number of devices that are logged in to an account.
How do I remove an Instagram account I’ve added?
To remove an Instagram account you’ve added, you can log out of the account:
- Go to your profile and switch to the account you’d like to remove.
- Tap the gear or settings icon in the top right.
- Scroll down and tap Log out of [username] or Log out of All Accounts. Logging out of all accounts will remove all the accounts you’ve added.
My removed Instagram account is still showing!
If you’re still having problems, my wonderful readers have offered 3 different solutions.
- Go log out of both accounts.
- Then go back to the home page where you log in. It’ll show the extra account still.
- The name will appear on the left and on the right will say log in for both.
- Hold down on the page and next to the log in tab an X will appear. Hit the X.
- It will prompt you that you will need all the info to log in again and ask if you’re certain.
- Hit accept.
Here’s another solution a reader found when that didn’t work!
- The X wasn’t active next to the account I wanted to remove.
- I removed Instagram from my iPhone by holding down the icon and tapping the little x in the corner.
- Then I re-downloaded the application from the App Store.
- I logged into my main account with my username and password.
- I went into settings and then to Add Account and added my second account again.
The third account is finally gone! PS. You have to be careful that you remember all of your usernames and passwords for this fix.
Plus, a third solution provided February 2019:
Here are the steps for removing an account from showing in your list that you’ve already deleted.
- Make sure you know the passwords for all your accounts.
- Log out of all your accounts.
- On the home page of the IG app, tap, Manage accounts.
- An X will appear next to the account name, tap that to remove the account you no longer want to appear.
- To remove another account, repeat step 4.
- Now you’ll be able to create / add new accounts.
If this isn’t working for you, use the Report a Problem feature in your account settings.
Unfortunately I can’t provide additional assistance, because I haven’t experienced this problem myself. Would love to get your insights if you’ve been able to solve it!
How to permanently delete an Instagram account
The instructions below are to permanently delete an Instagram account.
Permanently deleting your Instagram account cannot be undone!
After you delete your account, you can’t sign up again with the same username or add that username to another account. Instagram can’t reactivate deleted accounts.
When you delete your account, your profile, photos, videos, comments, likes and followers will be permanently removed.
If you’d prefer to take a break, you can temporarily disable your account instead.
If you’re sure you wish to permanently delete, log in at Instagram.com. You can’t delete your account from within the Instagram app on your mobile device.
To permanently delete your account:
- Go to the Delete Your Account page. If you’re not logged into Instagram on the web, you’ll be asked to log in first.
- Select an option from the drop-down menu next to Why are you deleting your account? and re-enter your password. The option to permanently delete your account will only appear after you’ve selected a reason from the menu.
- Click or tap Permanently delete my account.
- If you’d like to delete a different account, click the username in the top-right of the Delete Your Account page, tap/click on next to username and select Log Out. Log back in as the account you want to delete and follow the directions above.
For security reasons, Instagram can’t delete an account for you. You’ll need to be able to log into your account to delete it. If you can’t remember your password or username, here are tips for logging in. source
We covered all this:
- How to create another Instagram account
- How to add Instagram Account Switching to existing accounts
- Push notifications on multiple Instagram accounts
- How to remove an Instagram account you’ve added, with troubleshooting tips
- How to permanently delete an Instagram account
Here’s a quick summary of some key points.
Missed something? Need the details? Look for the purple banners above.
This is a long-awaited feature that I use daily.
Have you tried Instagram account switching yet?
Has it made your life easier for managing multiple Instagram accounts?