Want to change your Facebook Page name?
The good news is that most FB Pages can – now even in the Facebook app!
Years ago, Facebook for Business said never, no way, not for any reason.
Now it’s quite easy to change your Fan Page name, on desktop or mobile. But – Facebook will have to approve your name change!
Article updated for New Pages Experience in 2023.
We will cover:
- Facebook rules for Page names. Cross ’em and your name change will be rejected!
- Step-by-step to change your Facebook Business Page name, in a computer browser and in the mobile app.
- 5 reasons you can’t change your FB Page name.
- 6 possible fixes so you can change your Page name.
NOTE: When I speak of Page name, I mean the Title of your Facebook Business Page, as shown by your profile photo.
Changing this name will NOT change your Facebook Page URL (web address), which is the same as your username and @name.
Read this for how to change your Facebook Page URL and username and important cautions about doing so.
Changing your Page name is a BIG deal – it must be done right – you may not be able to change it again – or at least for a while. Please read this entire page carefully!
What Page Names are Allowed on Facebook?
Before requesting a name change that may be rejected, I recommend you review the Business Page name guidelines. Some rules may surprise you!
Page names must accurately reflect the Page. Keep in mind that only authorized representatives can manage a Page for a brand, place, organization or public figure.
Page names can’t include:
- Terms or phrases that may be abusive or violate someone’s rights.
- The word “official” if the Page isn’t the official Page of a brand, place, organization or public figure.
- Improper capitalization (example: tHe best CaFE). Page names must use grammatically correct capitalization and may not include all capital letters, except for acronyms.
- Symbols (example: ® ) or unnecessary punctuation.
- Descriptions or slogans (example: The Best Cafe – We serve the best coffee in town). People who manage Pages can add this information to a Page’s About section.
- Any variation of the word “Facebook.”
Page names can’t consist only of:
- Generic words (example: Pizza). Pages must be managed by official representatives of the topics they’re about.
- Generic geographic locations (example: New York). However, you can create a Page name for an organization that represents a geographic location. For example, “New York City – Mayor’s Office” and “Queen Elizabeth II of Great Britain” are acceptable Page names. source
In addition, there is a limit of 75 characters in your Page name.
This should be plenty! Think short and memorable. Further descriptions should be placed in your About section.
How to Change Your Facebook Page Name 2023
Here’s how to change your Page name via computer browser. Mobile app instructions are after this section.
To change FB Page name in the “New Page Experience”
1 | Click the avatar at top right of any Facebook page and be sure you’re logged in as your Page, not your profile.
2 | Click Settings & privacy, then click Settings.
3 | Now you see the General Page Settings. Click on Edit to the right of your Name.
4 | Click into the Name area and enter a new one. Then click Review Change.
5 | Review your request and if you’re happy with it, enter your password and click Request Change.
To change FB Page name in Facebook Classic:
Login as an Admin of the Page you wish to change on a computer browser.
To request a change to your Page’s name:
1 | Go to your Page and click Edit Page info near the bottom left side (see image below).
Another way to access this is to click the Settings gear icon at the bottom left side of your Page, then click Page Info at top left. This will take you to the same place but with one extra step 🙂
2 | Click into your Page name area (image above).
3 | Enter a new Page name, then click outside the Page name box.
4 | Review your request and click Request Change (see image below). source
Caution: Be SURE the name you request is the one you want. This cannot be undone.
Check your spelling again. Once you click Request Change, your request will go to Facebook for approval.
If this doesn’t work for you, read on… Plus, how to do this on mobile!
How to Change your Facebook Page Name on Mobile
If you’re not on a desktop browser, your FB Page won’t look anything like the screenshots above!
No worries though! Now you CAN edit your Page name in the mobile app. you just need to access it a bit differently.
In the New Page Experience:
1 | Go to the Menu and switch into your Page (shown above).
2 | Back on the Menu page, scroll down to Settings & privacy > Settings.
3 | Tap Page settings, then tap Name.
4 | Edit your new Page name and tap Review Change.
5 | If you like it, enter your password and tap Save changes.
In Classic FB:
1 | Tap … More at the top right of your Page. You may need to swipe left to see it.
2 | Scroll down to the Page Controls section and tap Edit Page Info.
3 | Tap into the Name box.
4 | You’ll be taken to a new panel. You can review the guidelines – they’re the same ones you read in this article. Enter your new Page name here.
5 | Review your request and click Request Change.
Why Can’t I Change my Facebook Page Name?
Not every Page can change its name at any time it wishes.
Here are reasons you might not be able to change the name of your business Page:
- You don’t have a Page role that allows you to change your Page’s name. Learn how to see your Page role.
- You or another admin recently changed your Page’s name (details below).
- There may be limits on your Page (details below).
- You can’t change the name of a regional Page if it falls under a global Page. source
How often can you change a Facebook page name?
Facebook now tells you, right before you confirm your Page name request:
Our review may take up to 3 days and require additional information.
If your name change is approved, you won’t be able to unpublish the Page or change the name again for 7 days.
During this time we may also let the people who like your Page know the name’s been updated.
Constantly changing your Page name is confusing for your customers and followers. And it might make Facebook decide your page is spammy.
Decide on a name you want to keep and don’t change it unless truly necessary.
Why would my FB Page have limits imposed?
- Not all admins of your Page have authentic profiles.
- Your Page has admins that continue to go against Facebook policies.
- Your Page has a misleading name.
- Your Page posts content that may mislead people who like or follow your Page.
- The content posted on your Page goes against FB hate speech policies.
Want more details about limits? Find them on this Facebook help page.
How to Fix if you Can’t Change your Page Name
Review these 4 possible workarounds to see if they might apply to your Page. Then #6 will explain the only way I know of to contact Facebook about your Page name problems.
1 | Wait at least 7 days
If you’ve requested a change recently, give it at least 7 days before trying again.
2 | Contact your Facebook ad rep
If your Page runs Facebook ads, you’ve got an “in.”
Talk to your account rep about your need to change your Page name for business – s/he should be able to make that happen.
The advertising team will understand that your brand is not going to run paid ads if your Facebook page name is not your correct company name.
When money talks, Facebook listens 😉
3 | Change your Facebook Page category
I changed my Page Name in 2013, so I don’t know if this option is still available. But I’m leaving it here so you can try it. Let me know!
Warning (2019): If you have a verified Page, you may lose your verification if you change your category.
If you’ve never changed your Page name, but still don’t see the Edit option, try changing your Page category to Brands & Products or Companies & Organizations, and click Save Changes. The Request Change link should magically appear!
Now click Request Change and fill out the form (sample below).
Note that you have a choice of reasons for the Page name change request.
If you select that your business name has changed, you will almost certainly be required to provide documentation. Logos, business cards, and websites are not acceptable.
You can choose “Other” and explain in the text area.
My first choice was to change my Page name to match my website: How-To Social Media Graphics, and explain in “Other” that my business had evolved. I decided that had a high risk of being rejected.
I chose to request a very similar name to my then-current Louise Myers Graphic Design: Louise Myers How-To Graphics. I then selected “My Page name is misspelled” as the best option. (Don’t even ask how long I deliberated over this!)
Note: Hyphens (as shown in the screen shot) are no longer allowed in Facebook Names – either Page or personal profile.
Before submitting your Page name change request be 100% certain of 2 things:
- This is the Page name you want for the life of your Page. At one time, Facebook allowed just ONE change, and they could revert to this at any time.
- Your Fan page is 100% compliant with Facebook Terms of Service. Your Page could be shut down once it’s scrutinized by Facebook. Click with caution!
Upload any pertinent documentation, and click Send.
Wait to hear from FB on your Page name change request.
You should get an auto-reply quickly. I can’t say how long it will take for Facebook to review your request and respond – the auto-reply says up to 3 days. For me it only took one day plus a half hour. And it was approved!
4 | Change your Facebook Page name a little at a time
If you’re having problems, this is worth a shot. I’ve heard from several people saying this worked for them.
Only change 1-2 words at a time.
For example:, say I wanted to change Louise Myers Graphic Design to How-To Social Media Graphics.
Step 1: Change to Louise Myers How-To Graphics
Step 2: Change to How-To Graphics
Step 3: Change to How-To Social Media Graphics
Adapt this process to your own situation.
Be sure you wait at least a week between each name change request.
5 | How to change your Facebook Page name a SECOND time
This is an older hack offered by a reader. It may or may not still work. You need to have “Global Pages” though.
You can learn more about Global Pages on FB help here, and if this might apply to your Page and situation. The creator of the SlideShare offers to answer questions – you can contact him via the info on slide 11.
6 | How to contact Facebook about Page name problems
As a last resort, you can contact Facebook. I say “last resort” because they are notoriously unhelpful. I haven’t tried this form though – maybe it’ll get you the help you need. Please let us know if you try it!
This section was added in March 2022 – it’s current.
Log into FB as an admin of the Page you need help with. Then visit the FB / Meta Business Help support page.
If you manage more than one Page, choose the one you need help with.
Then choose the issue you need help with, which in our case is to change the name of a Page.
FB will return some general tips, which we’ve covered thoroughly above. If they didn’t work, click the “Contact Support” button.
Fill out the form with your contact info, then “provide information that will help us investigate.” Attach screenshots of error messages or anything relevant you may have saved.
Then click “Send Email” and hope for the best 🙂
Facebook Page Name Change: Resolved!
- Facebook rules for Page names.
- How to change your Facebook Business Page name on mobile or desktop.
- Why you can’t change your FB Page name.
- What to do if you can’t change your Page name.
Review as needed!
What about you? Will you change your Page name? Let me know how it works for you.
I hope this helps you change your Facebook Page name!