Want to change your Facebook Page name?
The good news is that most FB Pages can.
This is better than a few years ago, when the answer was never, no way, not for any reason.
Now it’s quite easy to change your Fan Page name. But – Facebook will have to approve your name change!
We will cover:
- Facebook rules for Page names. Cross ’em and your name change will be rejected!
- Step-by-step to change your Facebook Business Page name.
- 5 reasons you can’t change your FB Page name.
- 4 possible fixes so you can change your Page name.
NOTE: When I speak of Page name, I mean the Title of your Facebook Business Page, as shown under your profile photo.
Changing this name will NOT change your Facebook Page URL (web address), which is the same as your username and @name.
Read this for how to change your Facebook Page URL and username and important cautions about doing so.
Changing your Page name is a BIG deal – it must be done right – you may not be able to change it again – or at least for a while. Please read this entire page carefully!
This post was published in 2013 and updated in 2015, 2019, and 2020.
How to Change Your Facebook Page Name 2020
Be aware that you need to be an Admin to request a change to your Page’s name.
Before requesting a name change that may be rejected, I recommend you review the Business Page name guidelines. Some rules may surprise you!
What Page names are allowed on Facebook?
Page names must accurately reflect the Page. Keep in mind that only authorized representatives can manage a Page for a brand, place, organization or public figure.
Page names can’t include:
- Terms or phrases that may be abusive or violate someone’s rights.
- The word “official” if the Page isn’t the official Page of a brand, place, organization or public figure.
- Improper capitalization (example: tHe best CaFE). Page names must use grammatically correct capitalization and may not include all capital letters, except for acronyms.
- Symbols (example: ® ) or unnecessary punctuation.
- Descriptions or slogans (example: The Best Cafe – We serve the best coffee in town). People who manage Pages can add this information to a Page’s About section.
- Any variation of the word “Facebook.”
Page names can’t consist only of:
- Generic words (example: Pizza). Pages must be managed by official representatives of the topics they’re about.
- Generic geographic locations (example: New York). However, you can create a Page name for an organization that represents a geographic location. For example, “New York City – Mayor’s Office” and “Queen Elizabeth II of Great Britain” are acceptable Page names. source
In addition, there is a limit of 75 characters in your Page name.
This should be plenty! Think short and memorable. Further descriptions should be placed in your About section.
How to change your Facebook Page name for a business
Login as an Admin of the Page you wish to change.
To request a change to your Page’s name:
- Click About on the left side of your Page (see image above).
- Click Edit next to your Page’s name (see image above).
- Enter a new Page name and click Continue (see image below).
- Review your request and click Request Change. source
Caution: Be SURE the name you request is the one you want. This cannot be undone.
Check your spelling again. Once you click Request Change, your request will go to Facebook for approval.
If this doesn’t work for you, read on… Plus, how to do this on mobile!
How to change your Facebook Page name on mobile
If you’re not on a desktop browser, your FB Page won’t look anything like the screenshots above!
As of January 2020, it appears you cannot edit your Page name in the mobile app. It looks like you’ll be able to, but when you tap the name to edit it, you get a “Content Not Found.”
However, according to this video, you can change your name on the Facebook mobile website in your browser!
Here’s a video walkthrough I found to help you find the proper settings to edit.
If this doesn’t work for you, please open Facebook on a computer browser.
Why can’t I change my Facebook Page name?
Not every Page can change its name at any time it wishes.
Here are some reasons you might not be able to change the name of your business Page:
- You don’t have a Page role that allows you to change your Page’s name. Learn how to see your Page role.
- You or another admin recently changed your Page’s name (details below).
- There may be limits on your Page (details below).
- You can’t change the name of a regional Page if it falls under a global Page. source
NOTE: As stated above, you can’t change your Page name via the mobile app. See the video above to change it from your mobile device’s browser, or you can use a computer instead.
How often can you change a Facebook page name?
While Facebook does not publish specifics on this, they once said…
Page name changes are only permitted once every 7 days.
The new page name may take up to 3-7 days to review, so make sure you start the process early to ensure that your new rebranding/name announcement launch is aligned across all efforts.
If your name change is approved, you won’t be able to unpublish the page or change the name again for another 7 days. During this time, Facebook will let your page fans know that your page’s name has been updated.
This was reported by Kristin Bush, Account Strategist at Social Media Examiner, a few years ago, so it may or may not still be in effect.
Constantly changing your Page name is confusing for your customers and followers. And it might make Facebook decide your page is spammy.
Decide on a name you want to keep and don’t change it unless truly necessary.
Why would my FB Page have limits imposed?
- Not all admins of your Page have authentic profiles.
- Your Page has admins that continue to go against Facebook policies.
- Your Page has a misleading name.
- Your Page posts content that may mislead people who like or follow your Page.
- The content posted on your Page goes against FB hate speech policies.
Want more details about limits? Find them on this Facebook help page.
4 possible fixes if you can’t change your Page name
1 | Wait it out.
If you’ve requested a change recently, give it at least 7 days before trying again.
2 | Contact your Facebook ad rep.
If your Page runs Facebook ads, you’ve got an “in.”
Talk to your account rep about your need to change your Page name for business – s/he should be able to make that happen.
The advertising team will understand that your brand is not going to run paid ads if your Facebook page name is not your correct company name.
When money talks, Facebook listens 😉
3 | Change your FB Page category.
I changed my Page Name in 2013, so I don’t know if this option is still available. But I’m leaving it here so you can try it. Let me know!
Warning (2019): If you have a verified Page, you may lose your verification if you change your category.
If you’ve never changed your Page name, but still don’t see the Edit option, try changing your Page category to Brands & Products or Companies & Organizations, and click Save Changes. The Request Change link should magically appear!
Now click Request Change and fill out the form (sample below).
Note that you have a choice of reasons for the Page name change request.
If you select that your business name has changed, you will almost certainly be required to provide documentation. Logos, business cards, and websites are not acceptable.
You can choose “Other” and explain in the text area.
My first choice was to change my Page name to match my website: How-To Social Media Graphics, and explain in “Other” that my business had evolved. I decided that had a high risk of being rejected.
I chose to request a very similar name to my then-current Louise Myers Graphic Design: Louise Myers How-To Graphics. I then selected “My Page name is misspelled” as the best option. (Don’t even ask how long I deliberated over this!)
Note: Hyphens (as shown in the screen shot) are no longer allowed in Facebook Names – either Page or personal profile.
Before submitting your Page name change request be 100% certain of 2 things:
- This is the Page name you want for the life of your Page. At one time, Facebook allowed just ONE change, and they could revert to this at any time.
- Your Fan page is 100% compliant with Facebook Terms of Service. Your Page could be shut down once it’s scrutinized by Facebook. Click with caution!
Upload any pertinent documentation, and click Send.
Wait to hear from FB on your Page name change request.
You should get an auto-reply quickly. I can’t say how long it will take for Facebook to review your request and respond – the auto-reply says up to 3 days. For me it only took one day plus a half hour. And it was approved!
4 | Change your Facebook Page name a little at a time.
If you’re having problems, this is worth a shot. I’ve heard from several people saying this worked for them.
Only change 1-2 words at a time.
For example:, say I wanted to change Louise Myers Graphic Design to How-To Social Media Graphics.
Step 1: Change to Louise Myers How-To Graphics
Step 2: Change to How-To Graphics
Step 3: Change to How-To Social Media Graphics
Adapt this process to your own situation.
Be sure you wait at least a week between each name change request.
Older hack: How to change your Facebook Page name a SECOND time
Here is a hack offered by a reader. This may or may not still work.
CAUTION: I don’t know what “Global Pages” are, and if this is something you should do. Proceed with caution. The creator of the SlideShare offers to answer questions – you can contact him via the info on slide 11.
How to Change Your Facebook Page Name: Conclusion
- Facebook rules for Page names.
- Step-by-step to change your Facebook Business Page name.
- Why you can’t change your FB Page name.
- What to do if you can’t change your Page name.
Review as needed!
What about you? Will you change your Page name? Let me know how it works for you.
I hope this helps you change your Facebook Page name!