Did Instagram block your bio link?
Due to my wildly popular post on blocked Instagram comments, I’m hearing more and more about this happening.
Like a lot of restrictions on the platform, it may have to do with an influx of spammers, as well as the tender age of many users.
The bad news is, this can cause your account to be frozen.
But here’s fair warning, and one workaround.
Which Instagram Links are not allowed?
Wondering why you’re getting the “Link not allowed” error on Instagram?
Link not allowed
It looks like your profile contains a link that is not allowed. We restrict certain content and actions to protect our community. Tell us if you think we made a mistake.
OK / Report problem
Instagram has become quite cautious with that one precious link allowed in your bio. This is due to the amount of spam accounts they see.
- They’ll block certain websites known to be linked to by spammers in their profiles.
- They won’t allow links to websites with explicit content.
- They’re blocking links that appear on a number of accounts within a short period.
- Shortened links – such as bitly – are suspect since it’s unclear what you’re linking to.
- Funny, fake website names may be blocked (don’t use a fake URL).
- Domain names using elements or misspellings of Instagram have been blocked.
- And in some cases, it may simply be your WiFi connection to Instagram. Really!
Below are some verified banned website links. Read on for fixes.
You can’t post links to your Snapchat or Telegram
Instagram has disabled the ability for users to encourage others to follow them on Snapchat or Telegram. TechCrunch announced this on March 3, 2016:
Previously Instagram users were able to include ‘add me’/’follow me’ links in a website section on their profile page, directly linking out to any other profiles they had on third party social services’ apps. Now attempting to type one of these links to a Snapchat or Telegram profile, within the Instagram app’s website field on a user’s profile, results in the following message…
A spokesman for Instagram confirmed the change to TechCrunch, providing the following statement: “We’ve removed the ability to include ‘add me’ links on Instagram profile pages. This was a rare use-case, and not the way our platform was intended to be used. Other types of links are still allowed.” source
So if this is what you’ve been trying to do, you know you should stop trying.
Etsy links not allowed on Instagram
A reader was informed by Instagram that etsy.com/shop/ URLs are not allowed. Now she can post photos, but nothing else – no captions, comments, or follows.
Apparently this has been going on since April 2015. The problem now is – she can’t even change the link.
Some Etsy sellers reported that the format shopname.etsy.com worked fine, but others said they had problems with that too.
One person said using their own domain name that redirected to their Etsy shop worked – but no guarantee that will continue.
Beware linking to an Etsy shop in any format. Definitely don’t use etsy.com/shop/shopname.
How to fix Instagram Link not Allowed Error
There are several solutions, depending on what the link problem is.
Instagram link not allowed with NO LINK!
When you get the error message, Instagram may provide the actual link that’s not allowed.
Is it an IP address? This is a string of numbers with a few periods inserted.
In this case, you don’t even need to have a link in your bio!
Fortunately, this solution could be as easy as changing your IP address. Just this month, one IGer reported:
I have to turn off my WiFi on my phone and use data for IG. When I am done, I turn the WiFi back on. Evidently there is some link in the wifi that IG doesn’t like.
So try that first.
If that doesn’t work, these solutions are widely shared. I haven’t tried them, but if your IP address is the problem, one of these should fix it.
Method 1: Restart your WiFi
Instagram is not allowing the IP address that is assigned to you. Get a new IP address by following these steps:
- Turn OFF your WiFi router.
- Wait for at least 3-5 minutes.
- Now Turn ON your WiFi. Connect your device to WiFi.
- This will assign a new IP address to your device.
- Check if the error still persists.
Method 2: Change Router Configuration
Follow the steps given below to change the router configuration:
- Go to the homepage of your router and log in.
- Select My Network tab.
- Click on Network Connection.
- Select Broadband (Ethernet) under Rule Name.
- Go to Settings.
- Click on Renew > Release > Apply.
- Now check if Instagram Link not allowed error still persists.
Method 3: For Mobile Data Users
If you are getting Instagram Link not Allowed error while using Instagram with your mobile or cellular data, don’t worry.
Put your mobile phone in Airplane mode for 3-5 minutes. After waiting for 3-4 minutes, Turn OFF Flight mode and launch Instagram to check if the issue has been resolved. source
Another possible workaround is to use Instagram on a computer browser in Incognito mode.
If the error has nothing to do with your IP address, read on…
What If My Website Link Is Blocked by Instagram?
So, you’re posting a link to your own website and getting a notice that your URL is blocked. You know your site isn’t spammy, and perhaps it’s even been allowed before.
Whether your URL is blocked by Instagram or Facebook, try the Facebook debugger.
This same advice was provided over and over when people were complaining about this issue. I’m hoping it works for you!
That debugger link is pretty handy for a number of things, including getting Facebook to pull up the right image with link posts. Bookmark it, or this post!
If the debugger didn’t work, open your Instagram profile and delete the link.
But if you can’t…
What If My Account Is Blocked by Instagram Due to My Link?
Unfortunately, I’ve been hearing from people who can’t even get into their account because of the link in their bio.
At this point, I don’t really know what you can do. Asking support seems to be fruitless.
One account was unblocked after a week and was able to remove their questionable link. Another account disappeared – so I don’t know what happened to it.
But first, try to patiently wait it out.
If you end up setting up a new account, I suggest:
- Don’t post a link to Snapchat or Telegram.
- Don’t post a link to an Etsy shop.
- DontMakeUpAPhonyURL.com – one account was blocked for doing this.
- Triple check your URL for typos. One account was blocked for spelling “Instagtam.”
- Run your link through the FB debugger before posting.
- Don’t post affiliate links.
- Be cautious of posting a shortened link (ie, bitly).
- And finally, don’t post other people’s content without permission. Your account may be reported and then blocked.
NOTE: I haven’t had any trouble with bitlys. Just a suggestion if you want to be extra cautious.
Did You Fix an Instagram Block Due to Your Bio Link?
Have you found a solution? Please help the Instagram community by sharing it in a comment here! I will add the info to the post ASAP, with a link to your IG account if you like.
Please share this post with others so we can resolve the Instagram link not allowed error!