Got a favorite color?
Mine’s purple. Could you tell? 😉
Your favorite color has a lot to say about you. Do the words ring true for you?
Don’t miss the great infographic at the end of this article.
Be sure to save it to Pinterest, along with your favorite color poster from this page!
Seek and find it! If I’m missing your favorite color, give me a shout in a comment.
Plus! Women’s favorite colors.
Men’s favorite colors.
How color in art and design affects emotion.
Lots to see, so let’s get going!
What’s Your Favorite Color Meaning?
Does your color explain your nature?
Knowing these traits can help you to understand your strengths, your weaknesses, how you can influence others, and how to improve your personality.
Favorite Color Purple
You are a perfectionist who requires emotional security in life, and you are a good humanitarian who helps others in need.
You have a good mind, a ready wit, and an ability to observe things that go unnoticed by others. You have a degree of vanity. You display a fine-art creativity. You relish the subtle but recognize the magnificent.
- One of your greatest assets is your intuition.
- That little voice inside your head is especially chatty and clear.
- Your intuition has proven to be right more times than you can count.
- Bursting with charisma, you are like a people magnet.
- Others perceive you as a visionary and are drawn to your innovative spirit.
- Your creativity is contagious, making it easy to build teams to execute your grand plans.
- You take pride in marching to the beat of your own drum and being unique.
- You’ve never cared about fitting in.
- You appreciate kindred spirits who choose to zig when everyone else zags.
Learn more about the purple color meaning and how it affects people, so you can use it well.
Favorite Color Black
You strive for power and control in life, but are often artistic and intuitive and do not share things well with others.
You’re above average, worldly, conventional, proper, polite, and regal. While black may mean “depression” to the clinical psychologist, to you it means “dignity.”
- You value your inner world keep your private life private.
- Only close relatives and friends are privy to your thoughts and feelings.
- You’re articulate and at times dramatic, but not unrestrained.
- You know how to share your point of view with conviction and authority.
- You maintain self-control easily, and can control most situations as well.
- Others perceive you as serious maybe to the extent of intimidating.
- Focusing on the details and getting things right is important to you.
- You are comfortable projecting an air of mystery, which can help mask moments of insecurity.
- People find your juxtaposition of the conventional and unconventional intriguing.
Communicate your message by learning the black color meanings.
Favorite Color White
You are organized and very independent, and you rely on logic to solve every problem.
- You appreciate order and simple elegance.
- Your taste is refined, enjoying things that are well crafted and beautiful.
- You have a special knack for finding treasures in the most unexpected places.
- You are particular and have high expectations for yourself as well as others.
- You don’t always deal well with disappointment when things don’t go as planned.
- Your ability to portray a sense of control no matter what may hide your true feelings.
- People may misread you as aloof because of your self-confidence and naturally reserved nature.
- When people get to know you, they appreciate your mindfulness and wisdom.
- You are often described as an old soul.
Learn more about the white color meanings.
Favorite Color Gray
You are cool and composed and a very reliable person who tends to conform to keep the peace.
Favoring gray shows that you’re cautious and seek to strive a compromise in most situations you encounter. You seek composure and peace, and try very hard to fit yourself into a mold of your own design.
- Your trademark is sophisticated diplomacy.
- Manners and etiquette are important to you.
- You feel polished social graces demonstrate respect for yourself as well as others.
- Professionally, others trust you to set the bar for appropriate behavior and decorum.
- Minding your own business and keeping to yourself is your mantra.
- If asked, you are comfortable playing the role of peacemaker.
- People perceive you as balanced, stable, and trustworthy.
- Others appreciate your gift for identifying alternate avenues and facilitating compromise.
- Naturally fair and objective, you can put personal opinion and feelings aside and see an issue from all angles.
Want to color up the gray world? Check out these fun free coloring pages!
Favorite Color Red
You have drive and determination, and you prefer action and risk-taking behaviors. Your biggest need is for physical fulfillment and fitness.
Red shows that you’re outgoing, assertive, vigorous, and prone to impulsive actions and variable moods. You feel deep sympathy for fellow human beings, and have a strong sex drive. You’re an optimist but also never hesitate to voice your complaints.
- Red isn’t just your favorite color – you’re passionate for red!
- You are in-the-know, present, and always aware of what is going on around you.
- You exude a powerful energy. When you enter a room, your arrival is immediately known.
- You are outgoing and usually enjoy being the life of the party and center of attention.
- When you love, you love big.
- If someone disappoints or steps on your toes, you don’t hesitate to say exactly how you feel and why.
- Not one to hide your feelings, you nip disagreements in the bud.
- You don’t hold grudges and like to move on quickly.
- You’re all about what is next – the next adventure or project.
- You are a natural born leader and easily gain respect from others.
- You lead with optimism and an animated can-do attitude that’s contagious.
Learn about how using red affects others here: red color meaning.
Favorite Color Pink
All you want in life is unconditional love and to be accepted for who you are by your peers.
- You have an easygoing, approachable energy.
- You come from a place of assuming the good outweighs the bad in everyone and every situation.
- Witty and smart, you sparkle socially particularly in small groups.
- Your caring and encouraging demeanor nurtures your longtime friendships.
- You genuinely revel in the success and happiness of others, especially your friends and family.
- Compassionate, perhaps to a fault, you are the one those closest to you depend on when they need a shoulder to cry on or a boost of confidence.
- The saying about seeing life through rose-colored glasses sums up your pink perspective.
- Peace, harmony, and calmness are important to your daily routine.
- You appreciate letting loose on occasion and enjoy embracing all the fun life has to offer.
Discover what else pink portrays by learning more pink meanings.
Favorite Color Orange
You love to be with people and socialize with them, as you want to be accepted and respected as a part of a group.
Favoring orange shows that you’re good-natured, enjoy being with other people, and are swayed by outside opinions. You do good work, have strong loyalties, feel good will toward others, and have a solicitous heart.
- The party is wherever you are.
- Forever the optimist, you fully expect something wonderful is about to happen.
- You’ve perfected being present, living in the moment, and focusing on what and who is in front of you.
- You may be described as a social animal, social butterfly, and/or mediator.
- A problem solver at heart, you channel your high energy to inspire and influence others.
- Team building is a natural skill because others are drawn to your zest for life and even-keeled positivity.
- Flying by the seat of your pants usually works out well for you.
- No matter what life throws your way, you don’t fold under pressure or cave to panic.
- You take things in stride because surely something wonderful is about to happen!
Learn the orange color meaning to opt for the optimal orange.
Favorite Color Blue
You want to find inner peace and absolute truth, and you always make an effort to think of others and their needs.
Preferring blue shows that you’re deliberate and introspective. You have conservative convictions, retreat to gentler surroundings in times of stress, and are sensitive to the feelings of others. You’re a loyal friends and lead a sober life.
- You value your close-knit group of friends and family.
- As far as friendships go, you are loyal – perhaps to a fault.
- Recognizing and putting the needs of others first works for you.
- You find being of service fulfilling.
- Yet, you don’t allow being taken advantage of or for granted.
- If tested, you will stand your ground with grace and composure.
- You have a keen sense of fair play and like being in charge of keeping order.
- Because of your reputation for being trustworthy and good with details, you usually end up with the job of scorekeeper.
- You endear yourself quickly with your uncanny ability to recall names and tidbits of info about others.
- People remember you for being warm, friendly, and engaging.
Learn more about the color meaning of blue to use its different shades and tints well.
Favorite Color Green
You are loyal and very frank with others, and you consider your reputation a very important part of your life.
If green’s your color, you’re a good citizen and pillar of the community. You are frank, moral, reputable, and sensitive to social customs and etiquette. You feel deep affection for your family.
- You have a special connection to nature. It feeds your soul.
- Whether it is spending time in the garden or finding creative ways to bring the outdoors in, your favorite activities revolve around all that Mother Nature has to offer.
- You dislike chaos and strive for consistency and balance.
- Time management is a strength because you quickly prioritize.
- You have business savvy because you target what is most important and delegate what is not.
- You rarely sweat the small stuff.
- You are environmentally aware and involved in community affairs.
- You have a knack for seeing the big picture and understanding multiple points of view.
- Others admire your clarity and respect your objective and fair outlook.
Learn how to use the positives and negatives of green by understanding the green color meaning.
Favorite Color Yellow
You enjoy learning and sharing knowledge with others, and you feel a need to always express your individuality.
Love yellow? This shows you have a vivid imagination, nervous energy, neatly-formed thoughts, and a need to help the world.
However, you tend to be aloof and are shy. You long to be respected and crave admiration for your wisdom. You’re a safe friend and a reliable confidant.
- One of your most appealing traits is your consistently sunny and fun disposition.
- Your optimism is resolute and infectious even in the most trying circumstance.
- Ignorance is bliss and you simply refuse to see the glass as half empty.
- You have a reputation of leaping before you look. Your impulsiveness sometimes pays off.
- While others are stalled by indecisiveness, your spontaneity and willingness to take action positions you several steps ahead of the competition.
- Your positive nature should not be misconstrued for extreme extraversion.
- You prefer tight-knit social circles to extended networks.
- Those who know you best describe you as happy, imaginative, and highly intellectual.
Yellow can make some people uncomfortable! Learn how to use it well by understanding the yellow color meanings.
Favorite Color Brown
You are a great friend, and you value a stable and simple life over material things.
Your love of brown shows that you’re shrewd when it comes to money and obstinate in your habits and convictions. You are parsimonious, dependable, and steady. You disdain impulsiveness and are also a very good bargainer.
- You relate to the simplicity of the color brown.
- You tend to be genuine and transparent with your intentions.
- Those who have hidden agendas and ulterior motives confuse you.
- You fail to see the value in twisting the facts when the truth is so much easier to manage.
- You are dependable and punctual and have high standards for excellence.
- Experience has taught you that a solid foundation is mandatory for success.
- You do things slow and steady – do it right or not at all.
- No get rich quick schemes for you.
- You have little patience for the snake oil salesperson types.
- Family comes first and you enjoy the comfort of a stable home-life.
- Your well-appointed and ordered kitchen is the hub of the house where you enjoy cooking.
- You find gardening and growing food for your table very satisfying.
Looking for more colors? The Favorite Color Personality Test includes gold, turquoise, indigo and more on an infographic.
Insights above from Psychology Today
Color Preference by Gender
There are several different studies on this topic. The color insights directly below are from Live Science.
Blue: Male 42%, Female 29%
Green: Male 25%, Female 19%
Purple: Male 12%, Female 27%
Red: Male 8%, Female 9%
Yellow: Male 5%, Female 6%
Orange: Male 7%, Female 3%
Pink: Male 1%, Female 7%
It’s surprising to me that purple is cited as the third most-liked color for both males and females. But they didn’t include brown, white, gray and black in this study. I’m guessing a lot of men prefer those neutrals over purple!
Do colors speak? Check out these pink quotes!
Women’s Favorite Colors
By reader request, I’m delving deeper into the topic of favorite colors by (binary) gender. I don’t know of any studies that go beyond male / female, sorry.
This data was taken from a color study by Joe Hallock, who polled people from 22 countries around the world.
Among women, the favorite colors were:
You might also enjoy these colorful rainbow after the storm quotes.
Men’s Favorite Colors
And in the same order as the women’s, we see a much different breakdown for men’s favorite colors.
Quite different results from the study above, where 12% of men said purple was their favorite color. I will guess that the Live Science study focused on one or limited countries where purple is more popular.
Pastels for Girls, Brights for Boys
If that sounds sexist, it’s not exactly. It’s based on what men and women said they preferred in this study.
The results showed that women strongly prefer soft tints of colors (such as pink) whereas men prefer bright, pure tones (such as ruby red) or shades (such as burgundy).
A tint is a color plus white. A shade is a color plus black. So although red is shown as a favorite color for both men and women, the actual reds they like are very different.
Pink wasn’t called out as a separate color in this study, as it was considered a form of red – pale red.
It’s also known that women can see more differentiations in color than men.
That’s because color vision depends on three types of cones, two of which are carried on the X-chromosome: L-cones that are more sensitive to the longer wavelengths of light; and S-cones, to shorter wavelengths. The third cones, M-cones, are sensitive to middle wavelengths.
Thus, men’s brains require slightly longer wavelengths of light to experience the same colors. This may be why men prefer colors with short wavelengths, like darker shades of blue and green, or they prefer shades without any wavelengths at all, like white, black, and gray.
The fascinating study for this difference is found here. Or check here to learn color theory basics.
Least Favorite Colors
Regardless of gender, brown, orange, and yellow are most people’s least favorite colors.
But even though 20% of women hate brown most, and 17% hate gray most, we still love to see the UPS truck or Amazon Prime stop at our house! I’m a believer that all colors are wonderful in the right context or combination.
Women’s least favorite colors
Men’s least favorite colors
5 Fascinating Color Facts
Here are some random facts about color that might surprise you! From UCreative.
40% of people worldwide say their favorite color is blue, by far the most popular color.
Red is the first color a baby sees, at around 2 weeks of age.
Pink is the most calming color, and is used in some prisons and mental health institutions to calm worked-up prisoners and patients.
White is considered the safest color for a car. I’ve seen studies on this – it’s the color that’s most visible both day and night.
Red and yellow together are the most appetizing colors. That’s why they’re used in a lot of fast food signs.
P.S. You might also enjoy learning more about business colors for branding.
Meaning of Colors in Art and Design
Color theory is a collection of guidelines regarding the use of color in art and design, and it has deepened in interest since Isaac Newton’s conceptualization of the color wheel in the early 18th century.
It has been scientifically proven that different colors and hues have a significant impact on our emotions and the way we react, which is why brands spend rigorous amounts of time developing their branding to impact the way consumers feel.
Invaluable created a helpful infographic on the science of color, and how each can affect our emotions differently.
Refer to the visuals below to help guide your branding and accomplish the goals you seek to create from your business.
Blue color meaning
Blue has different meanings depending on the culture, and the specific tint or shade used.
In Western cultures, blue is generally considered calming and serene.
In Asia and the Middle East, blue represents immortality in connection. In Ukraine, it is a healing color.
Blue can also evoke sadness or aloofness. See the graphic below!
Green color meaning
Green is seen as refreshing or tranquil and can often represent luck, health, and prosperity.
Whole Foods and Starbucks utilize the color green to induce feelings of freshness and health.
Here are two examples of green color used in art to evoke ether serenity or prosperity.
Purple color meaning
Purple is reputed to awaken creativity and imagination.
It can be associated with royalty since historically, only the rich could afford expensive items made with this hard-to-produce pigment.
Lighter hues of purple tend to exude more peaceful, tranquil emotions.
Red color meaning
The color red can exude different emotions depending on its use.
It has intense characteristics that elicit strong reactions, and many brands and advertisers try to capitalize on its visibility and stimulation.
YouTube, for example, uses red in their logo as a way to accent their brand name and attract viewers.
Red also tends to fuel passion, whether it be in an aggressive sense, or that of love.
You might also enjoy these quotes about the color red.
Orange color meaning
Like its color wheel neighbor red, orange is an attention-grabbing hue.
Orange can be used to signify extravagance and command attention.
Sports teams often use orange in their logos and mascots because it has an energetic undertone.
Though it’s bright and jovial, be careful of overusing orange, as it can get harsh.
Yellow color meaning
Yellow is bright and intense, so it triggers strong emotions.
Though it can be cheery and warm, it can also seem abrasive or cause frustration or anger when used in the wrong context.
While too much yellow overstimulates, a dash of yellow can stimulate your appetite. This is why fast food restaurants like McDonald’s incorporate it into their branding.
Black color meaning
Black appears heavy from a visual standpoint. That’s why it’s used sparingly in art.
Artists looking to evoke a “darker” feeling rely on generous amounts of black.
Black is usually associated with power, authority, and mystery.
White color meaning
As the absence of color, white has a pure, clean feeling – thus it’s used in hospitals and spas to suggest sterility and cleanliness.
While in Western cultures, white represents purity and elegance, in various Eastern societies, it’s closely associated with death and used in mourning rituals.
Be sure you know your audience so you use colors appropriately!
There’s no doubt that color is important!
I hope you’ve enjoyed learning about color meanings, and gained some insight into yourself and others.
Share with friends! Pin your favorite color poster, or one of the infographics.
Graphic below submitted by CollegeMatchup.net for publication here.
So, what does your favorite color say about you? Let me know in a comment if the hue fits!
How would you describe somebody who likes Burgundy or Maroon?
Louise Myers says
Like red, these colors indicate energy and power, but do it in a more serious or dignified way. Perhaps a bit intimidating – friendly, not so much.
Simbito W. says
This is really accurate even though it’s kinda similar to some other. I also like how you included Males’ and Females’ opinions on the colors.
Charlotte woods says
This was pretty cool but the “Woman’s favorite color” and “Man’s favorite color” didn’t match up to me or my family! This made me think this was all fake but I’ll trust this person’s work so thanks for reading
Lucky Luca says
I’m torn between dark mint green and blood red (also silver). ITS CHRISTMAS COLOURS! Red matches my personality but green sometimes just pleases my eyes.
RED OR GREEN Y’ALL???
Louise Myers says
Maybe it depends on your mood! Dark mint green sounds relaxing, blood red kind of the opposite.
My Favorite color is Green & well it suits me about like 2/4 so not really but I still love green. Plus my 2nd favorite color is Yellow and that really explains a lot more about me which I do love.
I LOVE OLIVE GREEN! But im not whatsoever a social and a family type of person. In my holidays i literally cooped up in my room with music and wattpad also im the least sensitive to social customs, i literally wear tracks in parties and im also not whatsoever a person who knows whats going around, yes i never know what the current date is, its like im guessing its 10 but actually its 20th, 10th is long gone nd i still find it hard to believe just where all the time went. next thing i cannot manage my time at all, i always end up doing last minute assignments and last minute studying for exams. the only thing true here was being frank, id rather be hated for saying the truth rather than liked for lying and i can also see from multiple povs and see the big picture but i do not whatsoever have clarity, at this point in life i dont even know what i want, even the normal things i keep changing, my decisions always keep changing as new info comes im verrrrry indecisive
Louise Myers says
Olive green is neither green nor gray nor brown. It’s possible this reflects your indecisiveness. It’s the color of camouflage, and it seems you like to hide in your room. And, it’s also possible it means something particular to you that it doesn’t to others.
Me too, and plus I hate how everyone is saying “oh, you like olive green, that’s such an ugly color” really there just weird. Olive green is such a pretty color though. I much agree.
I have two favourites: blue (especially the pure blue from RGB), and turquoise/marine (but I can’t tell which hue, the naming is quite confusing). Just bought some T-shirts in both of these colors 😉 Not sure which one is my more favourite. I usually have identified myself with blue, but I tend to like the turquoise/marine more in certain places, like the keyboard lighting. I love it for being unusual and kinda mysterious (while blue is just blue – opposite of the aggressive red 😉 ).
Louise Myers says
I hear ya, the naming of colors is sooo inconsistent! 💠 💙 💠
Blue,gold ,neon green wat it say about them
Louise Myers says
Blue is described above. You can find the meaning of gold on this page of color meanings or this one on color personality.
Don’t know much about neon green except that it’s attention getting 🙂
I agree with you except I do love green but neon green is much of an ugly green to me and my least favorite.
My favorite color is brown…the Color Personality is me to a tee!
Thanks for this!
Patrick McManus says
How about Aquamarine?
Louise Myers says
Check out this one on Color Personality. Turquoise is listed there! Then the pastels section above may be relevant.
Mine is Purple. And by the look of it, I’m the only man in the world 😂
I feel that too, Mines grey! 😅
Very interesting and accurate for the most part! You should put Aqua on here, I’d be interested to read about that favourite colour too! 😄
Louise Myers says
Check out this one on Color Personality. Turquoise is listed there!
My favorite color is blue and im a female 🙂
My fav color is lilac. It’s so aesthetic :3.
Aidan Campbell says
it took me a long time to realise it but my favourite colour is green and your article has proven me right.
Chloe 🙃 says
I’ve loved different colors though my life, but only recently I found out that I had been loving anything dark like black. I always thought it meant I was heartless, heartbroken, depressed and a baddie. Which wasn’t the what I was going for. Now that I know what it means I might have a better time with life knowing I’m not bad like I thought I was.
Thank You 🥰
Louise Myers says
That’s so cool. I’m glad you found it helpful!
Purple is real about me
No one can come between me and my purple💜🟣💜
i like blue when it paired with the other colors like green, orange, light blue
but green i love on it’s own or with other colors like blue or similar like light green
dark green is my favorite, dark blue is second choice
Jessica Smith says
Thank you so much for your super infragraphics presentation. I have very poor color sense, but your post was very beneficial for me. I really appreciate your quality work and efforts you have put into this article. I hope to hear more interesting topics from you. Keep sharing.
Can I know about brown colour
Louise Myers says
Quite a bit about it in the article.
My favorite color all is a rich deep dark maroon. The others or pink and black. Could you first tell me about what maroon says about me and what the about the combo of these colors. These colors seem so unrelated to each other.
Louise Myers says
It sounds like you have a great blend of colors and traits! I’m not a color psychologist though. I will leave it to you to find one who can provide more details.
lilac is my favorite color, so what does it say about me? or is it categorized under purple
Louise Myers says
It is. Lilac is a soft tone of purple 🙂
I’m only a yellow.
Louise Myers says
Sounds perfect with your name!
Craig Lungren says
Of course it shows Favorite Colors by Gender …
Male: Blue 42%/Green 25%/Purple 12%/Red 8%/Orange 7%/Yellow 5%/Pink 1%
Female: Blue 29%/Purple 27%/Green 19%/Red 9%/Pink 7%/Yellow 6 %/Orange 3%
… but then, I’m wondering Why does it not show the Percent of the other 4 colors –
White, Gray, Brown and Black? What happened to each of them?
Even they should be added to each ‘Favorite Color’ wheel.
Louise Myers says
Well, these % add up to 100. It looks like those colors weren’t offered as choices in this study.
Craig Lungren says
Thanks Louise for clarifying! I’m just wondering if there can be a newer study with all 11 colors offered as choices and adding up to 100% in the wheels. Then it can be updated in your article. Plus I never voted for my favorite color at the time – to build the color percent higher in the study. Is it possible to have a newer study?
Louise Myers says
I will look for one! Unfortunately I don’t have the ability to do a large-scale study so other resources like Psychology Today are more reliable. I’ll find something with more colors.
my fav color is black and blue guess my gender hah, its female dont use favorite colors like that.
Louise Myers says
my favorite colour is pink. it really suit my personality
Anurag Singh says
What I am mix of black and red almost all points in black describes me with 3/4 of red
Leah Jessop says
Every person has a color group. Tones also tell the emotion level and moods you are going through. I’ve noticed that on my own. My favorite color was discovered when I was about 6 years old. I loved nature. My other color was purple. As a child wishing to look like a princess my colors were purple pink and blue. My colors now still continue with green at the top, purple next and brown everything else. Nature topped with a little feminine charms I guess.
I’ve enjoyed looking over this website. This is the first time I have looked up what colors mean because for the last six years I have a dusty blue color for my room and like it that way although it is not my favorite color. Blue is conservative. I think if I through it out it will give me good luck and I can become wealthy. Just another phase in life.
I’ve taken a lot of time so here you go.
Louise Myers says
Thanks for sharing your story!