How to Change Your Facebook Page Name 2015

How to Change Your Facebook Page Name

Want to change your Facebook Page name?

The good news is you can – probably.

This is better than a few years ago, when the answer was never, no way, not for any reason.

Now it’s quite easy to change your Fan Page name. But – Facebook will have to approve your name change.

You can only change once.

A reader has offered a hack even if you’ve already changed your name once. See end of post – caution is advised.

NOTE: When I speak of Page name, I mean the Title of your Page, as overlaid on your Cover Photo. This will NOT change your Facebook Page URL (web address). Check here for how to change your Facebook Page URL and important cautions about doing so.

Changing your Page name is a BIG deal – it must be done right – you can never change it again (through normal channels, anyway). Please read this entire page carefully!

How to Change Your Facebook Page Name

Logged in as an Admin of the Page you wish to change, click About under your cover photo. You should be on the Page Info tab. Click it in the left sidebar if necessary.

How to Change Your Facebook Page Name Step 1: Go to Page Info tab.

Hover the Name section and click the blue Edit pencil that pops up to the right.

Fill in the name you’re SURE you want (WARNING! Cannot be undone or changed more than ONE time!).

Then scroll to the bottom and click Continue.

How to Change Your Facebook Page Name Step 2: Fill in your new name and subit request

Check your spelling again. Once you click Request Change, your request will go to Facebook for approval.

If You Don’t See the Option to Edit Your Page’s Name

• You don’t have a Page role that allows you to change your Page’s name. Learn how to see your Page role.
  • You or another admin recently changed your Page’s name.
  • This option isn’t currently available in your location. source

See below for another possibility.

No Edit Pencil? Here’s What Worked for Me

I changed my Page Name in 2013, so I don’t know if this option is still available. But I’m leaving it here so you can try it. Let me know!

If you’ve never changed your Page name, but still don’t see the Edit pencil, try changing your Page category to Brands & Products or Companies & Organizations, and click Save Changes. The Request Change link should magically appear!

Now click Request Change and fill out the form (sample below).

How to Change Your Facebook Page Name: Form

Note that you have a choice of reasons for the Page Name change request.

If you select that your business name has changed, you will almost certainly be required to provide documentation. Logos, business cards, and websites are not acceptable.

You can choose “Other” and explain in the text area.

My first choice was to change my Page name to match my website: How-To Social Media Graphics, and explain in “Other” that my business had evolved. I decided that had a high risk of being rejected.

I chose to request a very similar name to my then-current Louise Myers Graphic Design: Louise Myers How-To Graphics. I then selected “My Page name is misspelled” as the best option. (Don’t even ask how long I deliberated over this!)

Before submitting your Page name change request be 100% certain of 2 things:

• This is the Page name you want for the life of your Page. At this time, just ONE change is allowable.
  • Your Fan page is 100% compliant with Facebook Terms of Service. Your Page could be shut down once it’s scrutinized by Facebook. Click with caution!

Upload any pertinent documentation, and click Send.

Wait to Hear from FB on Your Page Name Change Request

You should get an auto-reply quickly. I can’t say how long it will take for Facebook to review your request and respond – the auto-reply says up to 3 days. For me it only took one day plus a half hour.  And it was approved!

How to Change Your Facebook Page URL a SECOND Time

Here is a hack offered by a reader.

CAUTION: I don’t know what “Global Pages” are, and if this is something you should do. Proceed with caution. The creator of the SlideShare offers to answer questions – you can contact him via the info on slide 11.

What about you? Will you change your Page name? Let me know how it works for you. And share your link in the comments once you change your Facebook Page name!

Want to change your Facebook Page name? Here are step-by-step instructions to change your Fan Page name, whether you have under or over 200 fans!

The latest on social media graphics is yours FREE!

Changes to social media never stop! Keep up-to-date by typing your email below.

1. A says

Doesn’t seem to work for me – 1400 likes, changed from “writer” to several other categories, but the link doesn’t appear.

• says

Here are 2 things to try:
      • Change the main category to Brand and Products (you can change it back later)
      • Clear your cookies or try a different browser

Th 2nd method worked for a Page in Australia with 12K Fans. I’ve read this only works in the US but that doesn’t seem to hold true. FB changes all the time though!

Good luck!

• A says

I tried ~20 different categories, new browser, delete the page (you get a fifteen day waiting period but no option to change anything), … – sadly none of that worked.

Maybe FB by now just cut all the remaining loose threads…

If you have any more ideas – I’m listening 😉 Either way, thanks for the help!

• says

I’m sorry it didn’t work for you! I still have the option on one of my pages with over 200 fans, where I’ve never changed the name before. I don’t think there’s any hope if you’ve done it once – if I come up with any more ideas I’ll let you know!

2. David says

Hi Louise I am trying to submit a name change request for my bands facebook page. The current name is the band name followed by fan page and I want to have fan page removed from the name. We are based in the US and all of the page admins are based in the US. I change the category to get the name change request link to appear. On the form it asks to submit documentation ie. something with an address. I tried attaching a word document saying that we are a band and that we don’t have an address but when i hit submit it says that they don’t accept files of this type. We get an electric bill where we practice but it’s not in any of our names. What documentation would you suggest I send?

• says

Hey David, any type of bill would only be helpful if it shows the name that you want on the fan page. Since you’re not really changing the page name, just asking to have the words “fan page” removed, I don’t think you need any documentation. I’m not a “page name change” expert, but I didn’t provide any, and you’re requesting even less of a change that I was.

Good luck!

• David says

Thanks for the reply. How were you able to submit the form without documentation? It wont let me submit without documentation

• says

Perhaps this is a new requirement. They say they accept .jpg, .pdf and .doc – so unless your Word file is a .docx, I don’t know why it wouldn’t go thru. As far as requiring something with an address, I don’t know why they’d need that except for a “local business” category. You could contact FB support. This seems like a no-brainer change, but I wouldn’t want you to do anything that ruins your one and only chance.

3. Liz says

Hi Louise,
    The request name change link was showing up for me last time I checked on April 18th. I was just waiting to finalize some other branding changes before I submitted the form. Now, the request change link is gone! It looks like Facebook may have changed this policy in the last two weeks…any ideas?

• says

That’s so annoying, isn’t it?

If you’ve already tried changing your page category, I think you’re left with 2 options:
      • Contact Facebook support and hope for the best.
      • Check back regularly and see if the link appears again.

I’m so sorry about that, Liz!

4. Shani says

Hi Louise,
    I am a musician and have been trying to change my stage name from my first and last name to just my first name. I go by just Shani, but obviously when I first opened my page a while back, I just inputed my name normally and didn’t think about it. Anyway, I had the same kind of doubts about submitting a document with an address as David did, but I see that maybe just a request to take out my last name would be sufficient. Do you think this would be categorized as “I would like to use a stage name or alternate name”, or “My Page name is misspelled”…or something else?

Thanks for the help!

• says

I’m not a name change expert, I can just tell you my opinion…

Is “stage name” an option for a musician page? Then that seems like the right choice.

Good luck!

5. says

hi louise – thanks for this helpful post. facebook doesn’t like to make it easy for you does it!!

I submitted my name change request with success but i did seem to receive an auto reply. To which email should it send to? The general email for the page, the email attached to my profile which i was logged onto facebook with or another?

and – does that auto reply have any link or action that i need to take such as ‘click this link to verify blah blah..?

thanks in advance

• says

Hey Chad!
      I honestly don’t remember what’s on the auto reply. I don’t believe it required verification.

And I have both emails set the same, so I’m not sure which FB would choose if they’re different. Hope you’ve heard from them by now. It’s always possible they don’t even auto-reply any more!

Facebook loves to keep us on our toes…

6. Blueshadow says

I tried to submit the request form, but I didn’t get any auto reply email, Facebook said need to response to the email in order to proceed the request…In your case, do you need to reply them?

• says

Hey Blue,
      I did not have to respond to the auto reply. I know that Facebook changes things all the time though.

If you’ve checked thru your spam folders and can’t find their email, you might want to contact Facebook support.

7. Emily says

I have sent in a request twice now to try and change the name of my page and I always get an auto reply saying they are unable to change the name of my page.

The word Absurd is in my Page Name and I accidentally spelt it Absured. It is literally one letter I want removed and it keeps getting rejected.

If anyone can help me out I would appreciate it.

I have already change my URL to the correct spelling. I have checked off the right reason for the name change, which is a misspelled word. Still I get automatically rejected.

• says

I’m sorry to hear that Emily – I’m sure it’s frustrating.

If you haven’t yet changed your page name (which would account for an automatic rejection) then try another time or two – it may be a glitch. Or, it could be a new rule, I don’t know. FB changes all the time!

8. says

I have over 400 likes. I did not read your post until after I requested to change from Red Coral Fertility to Justina Thompson. I wish I had read this first because they declined my request. I have never requested prior to this.

What do you suggest? Can I try again with the name Justina Thompson Fertiltiy?

It’s so silly because I did the name change for another company last year from Your Healing Place to Thriveology (at that point that had under 100 likes) and we did not even have to make a request and those names are extremely different.

• says

The policies change all the time, so something that was approved a year ago might not get through today. But what’s the harm in trying?

Thanks so much for your comment! I’m sorry for the extreme delay in replying – I just found a number of valid comments in my spam folder.

9. kishor girme says

Want help! I’m running facebook page, on page over 200k likes, now i want change username, page name , page category and page send to anthor admin. Can i get verified from facebook via my website and verified twitter account ? Please reply

10. says

Thanks for this important update, Louise. The last time I tried this, all sorts of documentation was requested. I just submitted the name change and my fingers are crossed that it works this time!