How to Change Your Facebook Page Name

How to Change Your Facebook Page NameWant to change your Facebook Page name?

The good news is you can – maybe.

“Maybe” is better than a few months ago, when the answer was never, no way, not for any reason.

Now it’s quite easy to change your Fan Page name if you have fewer than 200 Fans.

Greater than 200 Fans and it gets a bit tricky… but a reader with 12,000 Fans used my instructions and did it, so maybe you can too!

NOTE: When I speak of Page name, I mean the Title of your Page, as shown below your Cover Photo. This will NOT change your Facebook Page URL (web address). Check here for how to change your Facebook Page URL and important cautions about doing so.

Changing your Page name is a BIG deal – it must be done right – you can never change it again. Please read this entire page carefully!

Change Your Facebook Page Name with Fewer Than 200 Fans

How to Change Your Facebook Page Name 1Logged in as an Admin of the Page you wish to change, in the top Admin panel, choose Edit Page… Update Info.

Scroll down to the fourth section where it says Name: You should see an editable text box.

Fill in the name you’re SURE you want (WARNING! Cannot be undone or changed more than this ONE time!)

How to Change Your Facebook Page Name 2

How to Change Your Facebook Page Name 3Check your spelling one more time! Then scroll to the bottom and click Save Changes. That’s it!

Change Your Facebook Page Name with Greater Than 200 Fans

Facebook says:

You can’t currently change the name of a Page with 200 or more likes. source

But this worked for me!

Follow steps 1 and 2 above, except when you come to Name: you’ll see UNeditable text, and next to it, a blue link: Request Change.

How to Change Your Facebook Page Name 4

If you’ve already changed your Page name once, you won’t see the link. Once is the limit. If you haven’t, but you still don’t see it, try changing your Page category to Brands & Products or Companies & Organizations, and click Save Changes. The Request Change link should magically appear!

Now click Request Change and fill out the form (sample below).

How to Change Your Facebook Page Name: Form

Note that you have a choice of reasons for the Page Name change request.

If you select that your business name has changed, you will almost certainly be required to provide documentation. Logos, business cards, and websites are not acceptable.

You can choose “Other” and explain in the text area.

My first choice was to change my Page name to match my website: How-To Social Media Graphics, and explain in “Other” that my business had evolved. I decided that had a high risk of being rejected.

I chose to request a very similar name to my then-current Louise Myers Graphic Design: Louise Myers How-To Graphics. I then selected “My Page name is misspelled” as the best option. (Don’t even ask how long I deliberated over this!)

Before submitting your Page name change request be 100% certain of 2 things:

• This is the Page name you want for the life of your Page. At this time, just ONE change is allowable.
  • Your Fan page is 100% compliant with Facebook Terms of Service – including the new text restriction for Cover Photos, and the very strict contest rules. Your Page could be shut down once it’s scrutinized by Facebook. Click with caution!

Upload any pertinent documentation, and click Send.

Wait to Hear from Facebook on Your Page Name Change Request

You should get an auto-reply quickly. I can’t say how long it will take for Facebook to review your request and respond – the auto-reply says up to 3 days. For me it only took one day plus a half hour.  And it was approved!

What about you? Will you change your Page name? Let me know how it works for you. And share your link in the comments once you change your Facebook Page name!

Share and Enjoy

• Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Google Plus
  • LinkedIn
  • Pinterest
  • StumbleUpon
  • Add to favorites
  • RSS
 Name: Email: We respect your email privacy

About Louise Myers

Louise Myers is a graphic design expert whose designs have been featured by Disney, Macy's, WalMart and more. Her straightforward writing style empowers small business owners to make their own graphics for social media success! Follow Louise on Twitter: @Louise_Myers
This entry was posted in Facebook Tips and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to How to Change Your Facebook Page Name

1. Pingback: Joe

2. A says:

Doesn’t seem to work for me – 1400 likes, changed from “writer” to several other categories, but the link doesn’t appear.

• Louise Myers says:

Here are 2 things to try:
      • Change the main category to Brand and Products (you can change it back later)
      • Clear your cookies or try a different browser

Th 2nd method worked for a Page in Australia with 12K Fans. I’ve read this only works in the US but that doesn’t seem to hold true. FB changes all the time though!

Good luck!
      Louise Myers recently posted..How to Make Picture Quotes at Supersonic Speed! FREE ReportMy Profile

• A says:

I tried ~20 different categories, new browser, delete the page (you get a fifteen day waiting period but no option to change anything), … – sadly none of that worked.

Maybe FB by now just cut all the remaining loose threads…

If you have any more ideas – I’m listening ;) Either way, thanks for the help!

3. gaurav says:

none of the above work for me :(
    i also want to know how to merge pages coz old trick aint working

4. Bollyone
    Twitter:
    says:

None of the above methods are working for me :(
    Bollyone recently posted..Hrithik Roshan J.Hampstead PhotoshootMy Profile

5. David says:

Hi Louise I am trying to submit a name change request for my bands facebook page. The current name is the band name followed by fan page and I want to have fan page removed from the name. We are based in the US and all of the page admins are based in the US. I change the category to get the name change request link to appear. On the form it asks to submit documentation ie. something with an address. I tried attaching a word document saying that we are a band and that we don’t have an address but when i hit submit it says that they don’t accept files of this type. We get an electric bill where we practice but it’s not in any of our names. What documentation would you suggest I send?

• Louise Myers says:

Hey David, any type of bill would only be helpful if it shows the name that you want on the fan page. Since you’re not really changing the page name, just asking to have the words “fan page” removed, I don’t think you need any documentation. I’m not a “page name change” expert, but I didn’t provide any, and you’re requesting even less of a change that I was.

Good luck!

• David says:

Thanks for the reply. How were you able to submit the form without documentation? It wont let me submit without documentation

• Louise Myers says:

Perhaps this is a new requirement. They say they accept .jpg, .pdf and .doc – so unless your Word file is a .docx, I don’t know why it wouldn’t go thru. As far as requiring something with an address, I don’t know why they’d need that except for a “local business” category. You could contact FB support. This seems like a no-brainer change, but I wouldn’t want you to do anything that ruins your one and only chance.
          Louise Myers recently posted..Check Page Rank with this Google Page Rank ToolMy Profile

6. Liz says:

Hi Louise,
    The request name change link was showing up for me last time I checked on April 18th. I was just waiting to finalize some other branding changes before I submitted the form. Now, the request change link is gone! It looks like Facebook may have changed this policy in the last two weeks…any ideas?
    Thanks.

7. Shani says:

Hi Louise,
    I am a musician and have been trying to change my stage name from my first and last name to just my first name. I go by just Shani, but obviously when I first opened my page a while back, I just inputed my name normally and didn’t think about it. Anyway, I had the same kind of doubts about submitting a document with an address as David did, but I see that maybe just a request to take out my last name would be sufficient. Do you think this would be categorized as “I would like to use a stage name or alternate name”, or “My Page name is misspelled”…or something else?

Thanks for the help!

8. Efan says:

How to contact Facebook?

9. Mike
    Twitter:
    says:

I am seeing the request change link, but unfortunately, it leads to a broken page. Any idea why?
    Mike recently posted..Nintendo 2DS Portable Gaming DeviceMy Profile

10. Chad
    Twitter:
    says:

hi louise – thanks for this helpful post. facebook doesn’t like to make it easy for you does it!!

I submitted my name change request with success but i did seem to receive an auto reply. To which email should it send to? The general email for the page, the email attached to my profile which i was logged onto facebook with or another?

and – does that auto reply have any link or action that i need to take such as ‘click this link to verify blah blah..?

thanks in advance
    Chad

11. Blueshadow says:

I tried to submit the request form, but I didn’t get any auto reply email, Facebook said need to response to the email in order to proceed the request…In your case, do you need to reply them?

12. mike says:

How long did the process take from submission (with all necessary documentation )

13. Emily
    Twitter:
    says:

I have sent in a request twice now to try and change the name of my page and I always get an auto reply saying they are unable to change the name of my page.

The word Absurd is in my Page Name and I accidentally spelt it Absured. It is literally one letter I want removed and it keeps getting rejected.

If anyone can help me out I would appreciate it.

I have already change my URL to the correct spelling. I have checked off the right reason for the name change, which is a misspelled word. Still I get automatically rejected.