Looking for iPhone apps to add text to photos?
Photos with text are the hottest thing in visual content!
Images are 93% more likely to be shared on social media than any other type of content.
If you can’t take a good photo to save your life, images with text are your answer!
Added text not only improves and explains your own photos, but many of these apps provide backgrounds, so you don’t even need to supply a photo.
Of course, there are many ways to add text to photos! Prefer a desktop tool?
PLUS, we have NINE design apps for Android in the article below. Not just for iPhone!
This post was originally published in July 2015, and most recently updated in February 2022.
Top Ten Apps to Write on Pictures
I’ve searched out the top typography apps for iPhone. The yellow button links will take you to the Apple App Store.
Below the button, look for a text link to the app for Android on Google Play.
I’ve placed these in order of App Store user rankings as of February 2022. They are all rated 4.5 or better!
Not surprisingly, these top apps are also updated frequently, so each should be working like a charm no matter when you need it.
In the early 2010’s, graphic design apps popped out like cherry blossoms in Spring. But many have withered – they’ve been removed from the App Store, or haven’t been updated in years. I simply can’t recommend those.
So here are details on the best iPhone apps to add text to photos, with more in the list at the end!
These 10 have thousands of positive reviews and most have been updated within the last 2 months. Older and poorly-reviewed apps have been deleted from this post. I won’t lead you astray!
Most of the apps are free to download, but to get all features, they’ll run you from 5–15 bucks a month.
Try a few before committing to a subscription – none can do everything.
See which one(s) suit your style and give ’em a whirl. Most have a free version, and/or a 7-day free trial of the premium version.
At the end of this article, I’ll also show you how to add text with a 100% free app you already have on your iPhone!
Disclosure: I’m an affiliate for the desktop versions of some of these apps. If you purchase a desktop app after clicking my link to it, I may earn a referral fee. I get no commission or cookies on mobile apps.
Word Swag app: Easy Text on Pictures (rated 4.9)
Sometimes, simple is good. WordSwag is one of the simplest, yet coolest, text on photo apps.
WordSwag and Typorama (below) are similar in that they’re built on a type engine that generates a complete typography design for you at a tap. Tap again and again until you find a design you like.
Save it if you like it, as that design may not come around again!
They also offer image search right in the app – free, public domain photos from Pixabay.
Plus, both apps provide unique backgrounds of their own, the ability to choose an image from your camera roll, and quotes to use right in the app.
Word Swag is the original, and it’s great, but really hasn’t changed a lot over the years. That also makes it streamlined and simple, though.
It includes 17 different social media sizes, including Pinterest pin size and Instagram Stories.
Use Word Swag to:
- Make your own stylish quotes
- Make beautiful graphics for Instagram, Stories, Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr
- Make graphics for your blog
- Create announcements and flyers
- Caption your photos
- Give your words a fresh designer look
- Make high resolution graphics for printing (Pro feature)
- Put your logo on it! (Pro feature)
WordSwag is currently free to download and $4.99 per month for the Pro option that allows high resolution downloads and logo branding.
This app was updated to version 4 in May 2020. It’s been updated numerous times since then, with the latest being December 14, 2021 (as of February 2022).
Adobe Creative Cloud Express (rated 4.9)
Creative Cloud Express is the latest iteration of Adobe Spark Post, one of my favorite graphic apps.
Bonus! If you have an Adobe Creative Cloud “All Apps” subscription, this premium app is included. That’s a great plus! This makes it easy to incorporate your branding and templates.
Not an Adobe desktop user? Then subscribe to this app and get 4 other Adobe apps included. Plus the Adobe Stock photo collection! Try it out for 14 days free.
Your designs are synced across your computer and mobile devices so you can create and share wherever inspiration strikes. Check out the Express desktop app here.
Desktop or mobile, it’s a fun, fast, and easy way to create stunning graphics for all occasions.
Get started in seconds with professionally designed templates you can tweak with just a few taps. Pick your photos, add text and apply Design Filters to instantly create beautiful, eye-catching graphics. Each tap gives you completely new layout, color palette, typography style and filter—no design experience required.
Here are some fun ways to create with Creative Cloud Express:
- Animated Video Posts — Tap to create eye-catching animated posts and share them as videos.
- Design Filters — Transform your text and photos into professional-looking graphics in 1 tap.
- Auto Resize — Instantly resize your design to perfectly fit each social platform.
- Auto Recolor — One tap to change the color palette of your design and make it pop.
- Magic Text — Resize your text and beautiful typography will be applied on-the-fly.
- Magic Layout — Combine your photos and text into stunning and memorable collages.
- Text Cutouts — Reveal the background image through your text in a tap.
Plus, you can easily share your designs via your favorite social platforms, text or email to wow your audience.
Canva app: Graphic Design Creator (rated 4.9)
Everyone knows Canva, and now it comes in an iOS app!
I personally have not used this app. As far as the desktop version, I have a Canva for beginners tutorial because it’s a bit complicated., In addition, I find their terms and licenses to be incredibly complicated. Do not use any Canva creation for resale unless you’re positive every element you’ve used includes commercial use rights.
That seems to preclude social media posts and other business promotion such as flyers, so depending on your needs, you may wish to check it out!
The good news is, as of this writing, Canva’s iOS app just had a major update to version 4 (on February 16, 2022). There are lot of new photo editing features!
Canva makes design amazingly simple (and fun)! Create stunning designs for work, life, and play—even if you’re not a design expert!
Whether you need an Instagram story, logo maker, or birthday invitation—create all these graphic design needs and more on Canva. Available on your iPhone, iPad, and computer so you can jump back into your design anytime, anywhere.
Use Canva for Social Media:
- Instagram Story Editor, and Story highlights maker.
- Create Facebook Posts & Facebook Covers.
- Design Twitter banners & Youtube thumbnails.
- Make cards, evites, photo collages and even use Canva as a poster creator for any social media use.
Use Canva for these too:
- Create a logo, book cover, blog design for any project.
- For any event: birthday card maker, wedding invitation maker, evite creator.
- Simple and free image editing app.
- Photo collage maker, flyer maker, banner maker for any occasion.
- Design motivational quotes and humorous memes.
- Party invitation maker, school poster maker, video banner maker.
- For business: brochure, resume, presentation, promo poster maker.
Canva Pro for desktop is $12.99 per month with no contract. This will give unlimited access to millions of high-quality photos, icons, and illustrations.
On the free app, you can buy credit packs for those.
Typorama app: Text on Photo Editor (rated 4.8)
I’ve used Typorama and found it to be fun and simple. Many others have too, as evidenced by their 112,000 reviews with a 4.8 star average.
Typorama lets you create amazing visuals by “automagically” transforming your text and photos into beautiful typographic designs. No design skills needed!
Just choose a background, type in your words, and your creative typography is ready!
Typorama saves you tons of work by automatically creating complex text layouts with different fonts and typefaces. In just a few taps, you get your text beautifully laid out on a background of your choice. This could take hours using Photoshop.
Note: The text designs are not templates. They are generated randomly as you choose different styles. If you see something you like, grab it, as you may never see that same type design again!
Use Typorama to:
- Create Instagram, Facebook, Twitter posts with eyecatching text designs.
- Create flyers and posters for your events or organization.
- Make headers for your blog or wallpapers for your iPhone.
- Turn your designs into physical goods and sell for profits, full commercial use with all included images and fonts allowed!
You can export your creations at up to 2048 x 2048 pixels.
Preset sizes are included – even a 2 x 3 size that’s perfect for Pinterest.
As of February 2022, the most recent update was
Lots more features, so if you’re interested…
If you like the free download, check out the various upgrade fees, including a lifetime PRO version so you can bypass those pesky monthly fees. No kidding, those can really add up!
This one’s not available for Android. There’s one by this name from another company and it has horrible reviews. Avoid the Android knockoff.
GoDaddy Studio app: formerly Over app (rated 4.8)
When I was creating a lot of Instagram graphics, Over was my preferred iOS design tool.
It’s been bought by GoDaddy and renamed Studio in July 2021. They’ve added a new “link in bio” feature that allows you to create one of those cool multi-link pages that you can point your social followers to. Find mine here (just a quickie test).
Studio still has fun designed templates and text overlays. A few are included in the free version, but you’ll get the best choices if you upgrade to Pro.
This is as easy as you can get. You don’t even have to think of words! There are also fonts included to use your own text instead of a pre-made greeting.
in the app, you can take a picture, choose an image from your camera roll or connected social accounts, or search Unsplash or Pixabay for free photos.
Wisely, they’ve removed the ability to search Google for images in the app, since that was enticing users to commit copyright infringement.
There are loads of image editing options, text editing options, social media sizes – pretty much everything you need.
- Create in an instant: Pick a template or start from scratch. Either way, it’s a breeze.
- Choose templates or fonts for social media posts, posters, ads, flyers, and more.
- Edit and perfect your photo or video to your heart’s content.
- Customize it: Add text. Pick photos, videos, colors, fonts and graphics.
- Share and schedule: Share to Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and more. Or use post scheduling and take the rest of the day off!
As of February 2022, this was just updated on the 14th. It seems to be kept well updated.
It’s fairly pricey at $14.99 on a monthly subscription, or $99.99 per year for the Pro version, but if it replaces Photoshop plus a design app for you, it could be worth it.
Definitely faster and a lot more inspiring than staring at a blank canvas in Photoshop!
PicMonkey Photo Editor Design (rated 4.8)
PicMonkey is one of my favorite online photo editors and design tools for desktop.
Their mobile app is just as fun and funky. And versatile!
Not only can you add text to photos, you can also perform some editing magic. The portrait touch up tool is particularly powerful.
This one will best suit users who take their own photos. Supposedly you can search stock photos in the app, but this feature wasn’t doing anything in my free version.
With the PicMonkey app you can:
- Easily boost pics with photo editor effects like Sepia, B&W, and Ombre.
- Add graphic stickers and your own overlays—like your logo—and keep transparency.
- Touch up portraits with makeup editor tools for complexion, contouring, eyes and teeth.*
- Add text to photos, and style it right with customizable drop shadows and spacing.
- Erase backgrounds automatically (or manually) with Cutout.
- Draw, erase, and adjust transparency on everything, including graphic stickers.
- Boost photo design with fresh, unique graphic stickers.
- Crop and resize images for Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Etsy, and Pinterest with pre-made sizes.
- Retouch photos on the quick with “Presto” automatic adjustments.
- Keep your photo editor creations in our integrated storage, and continue editing on desktop.*
* Some features require in-app purchase. Full use rights are included with your PicMonkey desktop subscription.
This one was also just updated.
Not a PicMonkey user online? Learn how to use PicMonkey for desktop and try it out free for 7 days via my referral link in that article.
Phonto Text on Photos (rated 4.8)
Phonto is a simple app that allows you to add text to pictures. It also offers a lot of customization abilities!
- More than 400 fonts are available, and you can install other fonts.
- Text size, color, and gradient are changeable.
- Text’s stroke, shadow, and background color can be changed.
- Text can be rotated, as well as placed on a curve or perspective.
- Text kerning and line spacing can be adjusted.
- Parts of text are erasable.
- Image theme is changeable.
- Items (Balloon, Rectangle, Star, Heart) are available.
- Background image is changeable.
- You can use not only pictures, but also plain images to write text.
- You can share photos on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Phonto has 4.8 of 5 stars in the App Store, with a lot of positive reviews. It’s free to download, with various upgrades available, including an ad-free version at $3.99.
As of February 2022, this was last updated on Nov 16, 2021.
Phonto for Android can be downloaded here and is well reviewed too.
Typic – Text on Photos (rated 4.8)
I added this one for 2020 due to its high ratings.
Typic is a super easy to use app that allows you to add text to photos.
With Typic you can:
- Add text to photos.
- Make quote images.
- Design a greeting card.
- Make a meme.
- Layout a business card.
- Design posts for Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, and all your favorite Social Media.
- Create posters and flyers.
- Create designs and logos.
- Enhance your photos with filters and adjustments.
- Create Instant photo mockups in a second.
- Add your logo to all of your creations.
- iMessage fun stickers.
As of February 2022, it was last updated on May 18, 2021, so it seems a little weak in that department. However it only costs $2.99 (there are in-app purchases as well).
PicSee – Add Text Over Picture (rated 4.6)
PicSee says they’re the easiest way to add fun text, artworks and stickers to your photos. I haven’t tried this one, but it has 37,000 reviews averaging 4.6 stars. The photo effects and gradients look pretty fun!
PicSee Key Features:
Fine Adjustments: Advanced options for adjusting the font of your text, including 3D, partial eraser, arc-aligned text, adjust (leading & tracking), shadows (color & size), bold, convert UPPERCASE etc.
Fantastic Fonts and Text Arts: Choose from 100 + fonts and pre-designed text art to inspire your creation. Adjust the size, color, pattern, rotation, position, spacing, and alignment to perfect your design.
Typography Designs: Plenty of typographic styles make it easy to create beautiful pictures and posters with eye-catching designs.
Huge Collection of Stickers: 200+ creative stickers help you make fun pictures with editable colors and textures. Various shapes and ornaments let you explore your unlimited creativity and enrich your personalized design.
Popular Filters: Abundance of professional filters including Natural Lights, Textures, Clear, Nostalgic, and more. Make your pictures stunning with one touch, easily turn your photos into a delicate artwork .
Gorgeous Colors and Patterns: Choose from the beautiful colors and patterns to use on your Texts and Artworks. Simply swipe the color picker to choose your style and tone. Make your creations unique.
Last updated on the same day I’m updating this article: February 23, 2022.
If you like it, it’s $7.99 per month. They used to offer a pretty great discount on the yearly subscription but I don’t see that now.
PicLab Photo Editor (rated 4.6)
Here’s another popular one with thousands of positive reviews.
While mainly a photo editor, it also allows you to add custom text and stickers.
- Choose from a collection of text fonts to add to your photos.
- Easily resize, rotate, and adjust text opacity.
- Multiple text layers to create beautiful typography.
- Add drop-shadows to your text.
- Choose from a delightful collection of stickers, overlays & artwork to add onto your photos.
- Drawing Tool to add rough notes, instructions, captions & more.
Plus photo filters and effects, image overlays and masks, collage layouts and more.
As of February 2022, the last update date is Dec 29, 2021.
Hype-Type: Moving Text Photos (rated 4.5)
Bonus #11! This one’s new to me, but since it has a rating of 4.5 I added it as an option for you.
If you’re looking for animated type features, you may want to try Hype-Type.
“Hype” your Stories and other images with automatically styled and designed motion typography.
With the tap of a button, automatically pull random, meaningful quotes to give context to your story that may have not been there to start.
I’m not much for random, but you can try it out free. As of February 2022, it hasn’t been updated in over a year, so probably not a good one to spend any money on.
There’s a similarly-named app for Android, but it’s not from the same company, and the designs look cheesy. Hard pass.
Don’t Add More Apps to Your iPhone 😉
Did you know that you already have an app on your iPhone to add text to photos?
It’s the iOS Photos app!
Now, I’ll be the first to admit, it’s super limited.
As of this writing, there are only 3 rather boring fonts.
And there’s no way to adjust the leading (space between text lines). It looks pretty basic.
But it could work in a pinch!
You can also use the markup tools in the Camera app, though it may be easier to find the photo you want to use in the Photos app.
To access the text tools:
- Launch the Photos app.
- Select the photo you want to add text to.
- Tap Edit at top right.
- Tap the Markup icon.
From here you can add doodles and callouts. Now to add text:
- Tap the plus + button in the bottom right corner.
- Tap Text.
- Touch and drag the blue box if you want to move it around.
- Double-tap the text to type in the words you want.
To change the text color:
- Tap a color at the bottom to select it.
- Tap the Rainbow circle to choose a different shade or change the opacity. You can even type in an RGB or hex code if you know it, or use the color picker (eyedropper tool) to grab a color in your photo.
- Once you have the color you want, tap back to the photo.
To change the font face, size, and/or alignment:
- Tap the button in the lower left that has two As on it.
- Tap Helvetica, Georgia, or Noteworthy to select one.
- Drag the slider to adjust the size.
- Select left, center, right, or justified alignment.
To save your creation, tap Done in the upper right and then Done at lower right.
And that’s it!
More Apps to Add Text to Photos
The apps mentioned above were checked and updated on February 23, 2022.
There are so many more in the list. Check them out! Ensure that they’re up-to-date before purchasing. I’ve noted that several haven’t been updated for years.
I’ve put the ones I’m familiar with at the top of the list – but YOU can vote up your favorites! Also leave comments right in the list on what you like and don’t.
And – if you sign up for a free Listly membership, you can embed this list on your own blog.
Take a fun new app for a free test drive, or upgrade for about the price of a coffee!
If you have a favorite Android type app, please let me know in a comment, and I’ll compile a list for Android users too.
Pin this post so you can come back when you’re ready to try more iPhone apps to add text to photos. Enjoy!