Looking for iPhone apps to add text to photos?
Photos with text are the hottest thing in visual content!
Images are 93% more likely to be shared on social media than any other type of content.
If you can’t take a good photo to save your life, images with text are your answer!
Of course, there are many ways to add text to photos! Prefer a desktop tool?
PLUS, we have NINE design apps for Android in the article below. Not just for iPhone!
This post was originally published in July 2015, and updated August 2017 and April 2019.
Top Ten Apps to Write on Pictures
I’ve searched out the top typography apps for iPhone. The yellow button links will take you to the Apple App Store.
Below the button, look for a text link to the app for Android on Google Play.
There’s been a shakeup in the apps world! In the early 2010’s, graphic design apps popped out like cherry blossoms in Spring. But many have withered – they’ve been removed from the App Store, or haven’t been updated in years.
Here are details on the top ten iPhone apps to add text to photos, with more in the list at the end!
These 10 have thousands of positive reviews and 2019 updates. Older apps have been deleted from this post.
Most of the apps are free to download, but to get all features, they’ll run you from 5–15 bucks a month.
Try a few before committing to a subscription – none can do everything.
See which one(s) suit your style and give ’em a whirl. Most have a free version, and/or a 7-day free trial of the premium version.
Word Swag: Easy Text on Pictures
Sometimes, simple is good. WordSwag is one of the simplest, yet coolest, text on photo apps.
WordSwag and Typorama (below) are similar in that they’re built on a type engine that generates a complete typography design for you at a tap. Tap again and again until you find a design you like.
Save it if you like it, as that design may not come around again!
They also offer image search right in the app – free, public domain photos from Pixabay.
Plus, both apps provide unique backgrounds of their own, the ability to choose an image from your camera roll, and quotes to use right in the app.
Word Swag is the original, and it’s great, but really hasn’t changed a lot over the years. That also makes it streamlined and simple, though.
It includes 16 different social media sizes, including Pinterest pin size and Instagram Stories.
Use Word Swag to:
- Make your own stylish quotes
- Make beautiful graphics for Instagram, Stories, Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr
- Make graphics for your blog
- Create announcements and flyers
- Caption your photos
- Give your words a fresh designer look
- Make high resolution graphics for printing (Pro feature)
- Put your logo on it! (Pro feature)
WordSwag is currently free to download and $4.99 per month for the Pro option that allows high resolution downloads and logo branding.
Typorama: Text on Photo Editor
I’ve used Typorama and found it to be fun and simple. Many others have too, as evidenced by their 75,000 reviews with a 4.8 star average.
Typorama lets you create amazing visuals by “automagically” transforming your text and photos into beautiful typographic designs. No design skills needed!
Just choose a background, type in your words, and your creative typography is ready!
Typorama saves you tons of work by automatically creating complex text layouts with different fonts and typefaces. In just a few taps, you get your text beautifully laid out on a background of your choice. This could take hours using Photoshop.
Note: The text designs are not templates. They are generated randomly as you choose different styles. If you see something you like, grab it, as you may never see that same type design again!
Use Typorama to:
- Create Instagram, Facebook, Twitter posts with eyecatching text designs.
- Create flyers and posters for your events or organization.
- Make headers for your blog or wallpapers for your iPhone.
- Turn your designs into physical goods and sell for profits, full commercial use with all included images and fonts allowed!
You can export your creations at up to 2048 x 2048 pixels.
Preset sizes are included – even a 2 x 3 size that’s perfect for Pinterest.
Lots more features, so if you’re interested…
If you like the free download, I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised at the reasonable upgrade fee. This one’s not available for Android.
Over: Edit & Add Text to Photos
When I was creating a lot of Instagram graphics, Over was my preferred iOS design tool.
Over app comes with designed templates and text overlays. A few are included in the free version, but you’ll get the best choices if you upgrade to Pro.
This is as easy as you can get. You don’t even have to think of words! There are also fonts included to use your own text instead of a pre-made greeting.
Choose an image to use as a background from your camera roll, or search Unsplash for free CC0 photos right in the app.
You can search Google for images right in the app, but beware – anything you find may be subject to copyright (unlike the search functions in the apps above).
There are loads of image editing options, text editing options, social media sizes – pretty much everything you need.
- Create in an instant: Pick a template or start from scratch. Either way, it’s a breeze.
- Choose templates or fonts for social media posts, posters, ads, flyers, and more.
- Edit and perfect your photo or video to your heart’s content.
- Customize it: Add text. Pick photos, videos, colors, fonts and graphics.
- Share and schedule: Share to Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and more. Or use post scheduling and take the rest of the day off!
It’s fairly pricey at $14.99 on a monthly subscription, or $99.99 per year for the Pro version, but if it replaces Photoshop for you, it could be worth it.
Definitely faster and a lot more inspiring than staring at a blank canvas in Photoshop!
Adobe Spark Post Graphic Design Collage Creator
I have not used the iPhone app, but I love Adobe Spark Post as well as Spark Video on desktop.
Bonus! If you have a paid Adobe Creative Cloud subscription, Adobe Spark Premium for the app is included. That’s a great plus! The Premium version makes it easy to incorporate your branding and templates.
Your Posts are synced across your computer and mobile devices so you can create and share wherever inspiration strikes.
Adobe Spark Post is the fun, fast and easy way to create stunning graphics for all occasions.
Get started in seconds with professionally designed templates you can tweak with just a few taps. Pick your photos, add text and apply Design Filters to instantly create beautiful, eye-catching graphics. Each tap gives you completely new layout, color palette, typography style and filter—no design experience required.
The Premium version includes even more beautiful templates, but the free version is no slack either.
Here are some fun ways to create:
- Animated Video Posts — Tap to create eye-catching animated posts and share them as videos.
- Design Filters — Transform your text and photos into professional-looking graphics in 1 tap.
- Auto Resize — Instantly resize your design to perfectly fit each social platform.
- Auto Recolor — One tap to change the color palette of your design and make it pop.
- Magic Text — Resize your text and beautiful typography will be applied on-the-fly.
- Magic Layout — Combine your photos and text into stunning and memorable collages.
- Text Cutouts — Reveal the background image through your text in a tap.
Plus, you can easily share your designs via your favorite social platforms, text or email to wow your audience.
PicMonkey Photo Editor Design
PicMonkey is one of my favorite online photo editors and design tools. Read more about PicMonkey desktop here.
Their mobile app is just as fun and funky. And versatile!
Not only can you add text to photos, you can also perform some editing magic. The portrait touch up tool is particularly powerful.
This one will best suit users who take their own photos.
With the PicMonkey app you can:
- Easily boost pics with photo editor effects like Sepia, B&W, and Ombre.
- Add graphic stickers and your own overlays—like your logo—and keep transparency.
- Touch up portraits with makeup editor tools for complexion, contouring, eyes and teeth.*
- Add text to photos, and style it right with customizable drop shadows and spacing.
- Erase backgrounds automatically (or manually) with Cutout.
- Draw, erase, and adjust transparency on everything, including graphic stickers.
- Boost photo design with fresh, unique graphic stickers.
- Crop and resize images for Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Etsy, and Pinterest with pre-made sizes.
- Retouch photos on the quick with “Presto” automatic adjustments.
- Keep your photo editor creations in our integrated storage, and continue editing on desktop.*
* Some features require in-app purchase. Full use rights are included with your PicMonkey desktop subscription.
Not a PicMonkey user online? Read more about PicMonkey here and feel free to purchase via my referral link on that post!
Canva Graphic Design Creator
Everyone knows Canva, and now it comes in an iOS app!
I personally have not used this app. I do feel the online Canva has quite a learning curve, and their terms and licenses are incredibly complicated. Suffice it to say, do not use any Canva creation for resale unless you’re positive every element you’ve used includes commercial use rights.
That seems to preclude social media posts and other business promotion such as flyers, so depending on your needs, you may wish to check it out!
Canva makes design amazingly simple (and fun)! Create stunning designs for work, life, and play—even if you’re not a design expert!
Whether you need an Instagram story, logo maker, or birthday invitation—create all these graphic design needs and more on Canva. Available on your iPhone, iPad, and computer so you can jump back into your design anytime, anywhere.
Use Canva for Social Media:
- Instagram Story Editor, and Story highlights maker.
- Create Facebook Posts & Facebook Covers.
- Design Twitter banners & Youtube thumbnails.
- Make cards, evites, photo collages and even use Canva as a poster creator for any social media use.
Use Canva for these too:
- Create a logo, book cover, blog design for any project.
- For any event: birthday card maker, wedding invitation maker, evite creator.
- Simple and free image editing app.
- Photo collage maker, flyer maker, banner maker for any occasion.
- Design motivational quotes and humorous memes.
- Party invitation maker, school poster maker, video banner maker.
- For business: brochure, resume, presentation, promo poster maker.
Phonto Text on Photos
Phonto is a simple app that allows you to add text to pictures. It also offers a lot of customization abilities!
- More than 400 fonts are available, and you can install other fonts.
- Text size, color, and gradient are changeable.
- Text’s stroke, shadow, and background color can be changed.
- Text can be rotated, as well as placed on a curve or perspective.
- Text kerning and line spacing can be adjusted.
- Parts of text are erasable.
- Image theme is changeable.
- Items (Balloon, Rectangle, Star, Heart) are available.
- Background image is changeable.
- You can use not only pictures, but also plain images to write text.
- You can share photos on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Phonto has 4.8 of 5 stars in the App Store, with a lot of positive reviews. It’s free to download, with in-app purchases.
Font Candy Photo & Text Editor
Here’s another popular one, though not as well reviewed.
You can download it for free, but the Pro subscription price appears to renew weekly, which could get expensive.
Font Candy puts you in the creator’s chair and allows you to produce custom designs in seconds. Add quotes, artwork, filters, colors, and even layer multiple images!
Choose from a curated collection of fonts or add your own to overlay beautiful text on your photos. Get creative and add intricate designs using shapes, symbols, or emojis.
Font Candy offers these text editing tools:
- Over 45 artistic, hand-picked fonts.
- Powerful text editing capabilities including text curving, opacity controls, and shadow.
- Add multiple captions and manipulate each one separately to make your edits truly unique.
- Built-in custom Artwork and Quotes we’ve designed for you.
- Colors and filters you can apply over the background image or the text.
- The ability to design and order custom iPhone cases, Posters, T-shirts, Magnets and more!
- Save your designs and watermarks to the app to edit photos in seconds.
- Fun animations you can add to your text.
- Scale and Crop options with preloaded sizing for different social media platforms.
- Share your work with friends on social media.
PicSee – Add Text Over Picture
PicSee says they’re the easiest way to add fun text, artworks and stickers to your photos. I haven’t tried this one, but it has 25,000 reviews averaging 4.5 stars. The photo effects and gradients look pretty fun!
PicSee Key Features:
Fine Adjustments: Advanced options for adjusting the font of your text, including 3D, partial eraser, arc-aligned text, adjust (leading & tracking), shadows (color & size), bold, convert UPPERCASE etc.
Fantastic Fonts and Text Arts: Choose from 100 + fonts and pre-designed text art to inspire your creation. Adjust the size, color, pattern, rotation, position, spacing, and alignment to perfect your design.
Typography Designs: Plenty of typographic styles make it easy to create beautiful pictures and posters with eye-catching designs.
Huge Collection of Stickers: 200+ creative stickers help you make fun pictures with editable colors and textures. Various shapes and ornaments let you explore your unlimited creativity and enrich your personalized design.
Popular Filters: Abundance of professional filters including Natural Lights, Textures, Clear, Nostalgic, and more. Make your pictures stunning with one touch, easily turn your photos into a delicate artwork .
Gorgeous Colors and Patterns: Choose from the beautiful colors and patterns to use on your Texts and Artworks. Simply swipe the color picker to choose your style and tone. Make your creations unique.
If you like it, It’s $4.99 per month, and there’s a pretty great discount on the yearly subscription.
PicLab Photo Editor
Here’s another popular one with thousands of positive reviews.
While mainly a photo editor, it also allows you to add custom text and stickers.
- Choose from a collection of text fonts to add to your photos.
- Easily resize, rotate, and adjust text opacity.
- Multiple text layers to create beautiful typography.
- Add drop-shadows to your text.
- Choose from a delightful collection of stickers, overlays & artwork to add onto your photos.
- Drawing Tool to add rough notes, instructions, captions & more.
Plus photo filters and effects, image overlays and masks, collage layouts and more.
More Apps to Add Text to Photos
The apps mentioned above were checked and updated April 4, 2019.
There are so many more in the list. Check them out! Ensure that they’re up-to-date before purchasing. I’ve noted that several haven’t been updated for years.
I’ve put the ones I’m familiar with at the top of the list – but YOU can vote up your favorites! Also leave comments right in the list on what you like and don’t.
And – if you sign up for a free Listly membership, you can embed this list on your own blog.
For about the price of a coffee, you can have a fun new app!
If you have a favorite Android type app, please let me know in a comment, and I’ll compile a list for Android users too.
Pin this post so you can come back when you’re ready to try more iPhone apps to add text to photos. Enjoy!