Want to boost your Fan Page visibility?
Get Facebook shares!
Likes and comments are great, but the most valuable interaction you can get on Facebook is a share. When your Facebook Page post is shared, it appears on the sharer’s Timeline so their friends see it. Now you’ve got a chance of going viral, as shares multiply from friend to friend! [pinit]
How to Get Facebook Shares that Go Viral!
Questions are great to increase engagement, but questions rarely get shared. The most-shared content on Facebook Pages is Photos and Video!
How can you get Facebook shares with photos? Before you decide that’s too expensive or complicated – remember that “Photos” on Facebook means any kind of image. I’ve had terrific results using Stencil to create quote images in seconds (formerly called ShareAsImage). The simple one at the top of this post was shared by almost 20% of my Fans! The Pro version of Stencil allows many customizations for a monthly fee under $10US. Or you can try a basic version free!
For more quick ways to make picture quotes, check out my post EASY Ways to Make Picture Quotes. I made the quote at right on Pinstamatic quickly and for free.
To find free photos to use on Facebook, check my post Best FREE Photo Sites: The Most Recommended Free Image Sites. I’ve been using Stock Xchng with great results. An interesting thing about this site is that you’re supposed to notify the artists / photographers when you use their work. When using the images on Facebook, this can actually increase your shares! Alert the artist by posting a link to your FB Page in the comments on SXC. The image below – a Memorial Day cover photo – got a great number of shares on a quiet holiday weekend! The artist shared with his friends and fans, and so on…
The Benefits of Facebook Shares that Go Viral
If you have the skill to combine a quote and a photo – you’re golden! I posted this quote graphic one evening to my Yoga Relief Fan Page, and it was immediately shared to a Fan Page with a huge fan base. Result? A total of 118 shares, visibility to a large audience (5x as large as my Page’s fan base), and – I gained 52 new Fans! I can’t guarantee you dozens of new Fans, but I do believe the visibility for your Page is worth the effort to make shareable images.
If you’re ready to get more creative but don’t own photo editing software like Adobe Photoshop, here’s my tutorial for adding quotes to photos online: How to Make Quote Pictures without Photoshop.
How to Increase Shares on Facebook
Now that you’ve got your shareable image, try these tips to increase the chance of going viral!
- Share your own Fan Page posts! All shares of shares are now attributed to the original source – so start by posting on your Fan Page to get the visibility. If appropriate, then share from your Page to your personal profile to get your friends involved.
- Encourage sharing! Include a call-to-action that inspires people to share, i.e. “Please Like and Share to spread the encouragement.”
- Thank sharers! Clicking on the number of shares brings up a window with all Public or friend shares. If available, click Like or comment on their post via your personal profile. If shared by a Page, you can Like and comment as your Page. By increasing their engagement, you’ll help the share get more visibility, and encourage them to share again in the future.
- You can also upload the image to your website and include the link for people to pin to Pinterest.
- But don’t only post graphics and photos. Keep it interesting by mixing in links, videos, questions, and text updates on your Fan Page.
How about you – what has worked well for you? What catches your eye in the News Feed and gets you to share? Comment below and include links if you’d like. Let’s spread the word on how to get Facebook shares that go viral!
UPDATE 6-11-12: I’ve continued to get shares of that quote graphic and am now at 143. I’ve added 62 Facebook fans in 4 days – not all can be attributed to that image, but likely close to 60. The huge thing is I have 693 “People Talking About This” – and I started with only 107 total fans! So, what a way to up your “PTAT” score!
UPDATE 3-25-13: Check out St Patrick Day graphics gone viral – as of today, this graphic has had over 100,000 shares from just the original post and George Takei’s!
If this has helped you learn why and how to get Facebook shares that go viral, please share this post!