Need Custom Tab Images for your Facebook Fan Page?
The Tab Images are less obvious in the new Facebook Page design, so creating Custom Images in your brand color will help people notice them.
Facebook Fan Page Tabs are sometimes called Apps, but Facebook calls the thumbnails or icons Custom Tab Images. The word App or Tab is used interchangeably.
NOTE: You must first have Tabs / Apps installed before you can customize tab images. See the end of this post for several ways to add Facebook Tabs free.
Where Are Tab/App Images in the New Facebook Page Design?
The Facebook Tab Images used to run in a row beneath most of the Cover Photo. Now your top 2 appear as text links under the Cover Photo, and the top 3 images appear in the left column (see image above). Page visitors can access the other Apps by clicking the More link at top right, or the small arrowhead at top right of the Apps section. All your Tab Images will be visible when that arrow is clicked.
The Apps section sits beneath the People and About sections. Those can’t be moved. But you can move the Apps section above the Photos and Posts to Page sections. Hovering the bar at the top of any section will show the Edit pencil, where you can Manage Sections.
You can also reorder your Apps within the section, and I recommend you do. Put them in order of importance, since the first 2 will be linked under the Cover Photo. Then highlight your 3 best Apps with compelling Custom Images.
Strategy for the App Thumbnails / Icons / Custom Tab Images:
- Create compelling Custom Images to get clicks.
- Feature your 3 best Apps with the 3 thumbnails that show in the Apps section.
- Rename the Apps with action words – give a call to action!
- Upload your Custom Images.
How to Create Custom Tab Images For Your Facebook Fan Page
If you don’t set a Custom Image for your Apps, you’ll probably have an ugly generic icon. The App Thumbnail size is 111 pixels wide by 74 pixels high. Create your Custom Images to this exact size. If Facebook resizes an image to fit, it can get blurry or bitmapped, and look amateurish.
The Custom Tab Images can be text-based, and even non-designers can make these themselves. Keep your brand colors in mind and add clean, simple text. I recommend going with a strong background color so they stand out from the white page. Use compelling Calls-to-Action as appropriate.
How to Reorder your Fan Page App Icons
- To reorder the App icons, click on the word More under your Cover Photo.
- Click on the last item in the list, Manage Tabs.
- In the popup, drag the Apps into your preferred order.
- Change the order from time to time depending on which Apps get the most engagement!
How to Rename your Fan Page Apps and Change the Images
- Click the word Settings above your Cover Photo.
- In the left column, click the word Apps.
- Find the App you wish to change and click Edit Settings. The Edit Settings box will pop up (shown below).
- Here you can Remove the Tab, add a Custom Tab Image, and set a Custom Tab Name.
- Start by adding your Call to Action words as the Custom Tab Name, and click Save.
- Now click Change above the text box.
- In the new window, hover the current image and click Edit.
- In the popup, choose your 111 x 74 pixel Custom Image.
- When you’ve located the image on your hard drive, it will upload automatically.
- Now you can close this window and reload your Page to see your new image.
Did you need to add Facebook tabs for your custom tab images? Here are my tutorials:
- Add Your Website as a Facebook Tab
- Send fans off Facebook to your website or blog
- Add your Pinterest boards to your Facebook Fan Page
- Add a Twitter tab to your Facebook Fan Page
How does your Facebook Fan Page with Custom Tab Images look? Leave your link in a comment!