Searching for the ultimate social media cheat sheet?
I’ve been looking forever, and can’t find one that’s completely correct. So I made my own!
Simple – but accurate! Outdated infographics are still widely posted and shared, despite their misinformation. Here are the updated social media sizes, as of September 21, 2015.
NEW –> Tumblr sizes added November 9, 2015 (text only).
Essential sizes for Facebook, Twitter, Google+, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Instagram, AND YouTube. Please leave a comment if any need to be corrected. I’ll update as quickly as possible!
Social Media Photo Sizes Quick Reference
Here’s a brief rundown of some critical social media photo sizes.
Facebook Photo Sizes
Update Sept 2015: There have been some minor changes to the Facebook cover photo regarding size and position of the profile picture and buttons. Please see this post for details and to download a template: Facebook Cover Photo 2015 Template.
- Facebook Cover photo size: 851 x 315 | How to make a Facebook Cover Photo for $15
- Facebook Profile photo size: upload 180 x 180 | Make the best Facebook Profile Picture
The size of the profile pic on desktop has been reduced, but Facebook is still recommending upload 180.
- Facebook App / Tab thumbnail size: 111 x 74 | How to make custom App / Tab images
- Facebook Link preview size: min. 600 x 315 | How to get a LARGE link thumbnail
- Facebook Photo post size: min. 504 x 504 | 2014 Facebook wall photo sizes tips
- Facebook Group Cover photo size: 801 x 250 | Facebook Group Cover Photo tips & ideas
- Facebook Event Cover photo size: 784 × 295 | Facebook Event image tips
- Facebook ad sizes: COMPLETE infographic of ALL Facebook photo sizes, including ads: Mega Facebook sizes infographic
Twitter Photo Sizes
- Twitter Header size: 1500 x 500 | Twitter header details and free template
- Twitter Profile size: 400 x 400
- Tweeted Image size: min. 440 x 220 | Tips using on Twitter Images
Google+ Photo Sizes
- Google+ Cover photo size: 1080 by 608 | Update your Google+ Cover Photo
- Google+ Profile photo size: 250 x 250
LinkedIn Photo Sizes
You can upload a banner image for your profile page. LinkedIn calls this a “background,” but it’s more like a cover photo, or horizontal banner at the top of the page.
- LinkedIn profile “background”: try 1500 x 500 | How to repurpose your Twitter header for LinkedIn
- Linked in profile picture: 500 x 500
- LinkedIn Cover photo size: 646 x 220
- LinkedIn status update OR blog post image size: 698 x 400
- LinkedIn logo size: 400 x 400 square. No more horizontal as of July 2015.
Pinterest Photo Sizes
- Pinterest Profile Photo size: 165 x 165
- Maximum pin width when clicked: 735
- More Pinterest image optimization tips
Instagram Photo Sizes
Update Sept 2015: Instagram posts are no longer limited to square! For details, read: Instagram Photo Format Breaks Out of the Box!
- Instagram Profile Photo size: 110 x 110 minimum | Rock your IG profile photo
- Instagram photo size: use 1080 width for best quality | Instagram photo size tips
YouTube Photo Sizes
- YouTube Channel Art size: 2560 x 1440 | Right click to download template
- Be sure to check the template as cropping varies widely from TV to mobile to desktop
- Video thumbnail: 1280 x 720
- Channel icon: 800 x 800
Tumblr Photo Sizes
It’s hard to find image sizes for this platform, and one reason may be that it’s pretty freeform.
I don’t use Tumblr and decided not to add it to the cheat sheet, since I won’t know if things change. But it’s been requested so I’m adding what I found, below.
Since Tumblr is so customizable and each theme is so different, you’ll have to check your particular theme for guidelines. All sizes vary by theme.
- Tumblr header size: Check your theme. I couldn’t find any info.
- Tumblr profile photo size: minimum 128 x 128 jpg, gif, png, or bmp file.
- Tumblr image post: Dash image size maximum 1,280 x 1,920, shows in feed at 500 x 750.
Images can’t exceed 10 MB.
Animated GIFS must be under 1 MB and max at 540 pixels.
Social Media Cheat Sheet 2015: Must-Have Image Sizes
NEW! You can embed the cheat sheet on your own blog with the code below the graphic.
Let’s battle the misinformation being passed around. Size does matter! Pin and share this complete social media cheat sheet with your friends and followers.